• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What books/sources do you look to for inspiration?

What books or sources do you look to to inspire you for gaming, be it novels, supplements, modules or websites. For example, I love reading through the module Castle Amber or the Dungeon Mag adventure, Kingdom of Ghouls.

Croesus

Adventurer
I get the best game ideas when I'm not focusing on gaming, so it's usually when I'm reading non-fiction.

The Enemy Within is a relatively new book about witch hunts. While I wasn't impressed with the book, every time I read one of the vignettes I thought about how cool it would be for the characters to get involved in a witch trial, whether as the victims, hunters, prosecutors, or jury. Even though magic works in fantasy RPG's, that doesn't mean everyone accused of witchcraft is guilty. Add in an "authoritative" book such as the Malleus Malficarum, can the characters find the real culprit, if any?

If I ever run another post-apocalyptic game, I will go through World Without Us with a fine-toothed comb first. Nearly every page gave me great ideas for a world where most people disappeared some time before. I love the image of decrepit skyscapers, most of the walls gone, covered in vegetation, occupied by feral cats feeding on the birds nesting in the heights, safe from the hungry predators below.

For travel to exotic locations, the first 50 pages of Marco Polo: From Venice to Xanadu is chock full of mythical peoples and mysterious locales, while much of the rest of the book is an interesting account of the political realities of the Mongol court.

You want a great story of ancient Egypt? Read pages 24-38 of Barbara Mertz' Red Land, Black Land. Her fictional ship captain journeys up the Nile, giving the author the opportunity to show off the land of Egypt and a few of the attitudes its people (likely) held. Want accounts of real temple builders and tomb robbers? Check out later chapters in the book. This stuff can be used in many types of games, not just an Egyptian-themed one.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Encyclopedia Mythica / Sacred Texts Archive - that kind of thing.
'Surfing' :uhoh: wikipedia, like, from link to link.

(I'll add to the list as I remember just what I do tend to turn to most) :)

Khairn

First Post
Inspiration for me comes from various places ...

-Primal Order (along with Chessboard, Knights and Pawns) for high level inspiration (planes, gods, epic monsters etc)

-Various mythology books that I've collected over the years

-History and historical fiction books about key periods in our history (Rise & Fall of Rome, Rise and fall of Nazi Germany, 1453 Fall of Constantinople, Crusades, the Reconquista, Discovery of the "new" world, age of Viking, 100 Year War etc etc)

-Discovery, Nat Geo, History etc

-Far too many online sites (like this one) that are filled with creative people

I could probably go on, and on, and on ...:eek:

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
I think there was a thread about this not too long ago.

My favorites for inspiration and reference are:
  • The Silmarillion
  • Bullfinch's Mythology
  • Dune - Dune Series - Dune Encyclopedia
  • Wikepedia
  • Pretty much every fantasy and sci-fi television show, movies and books ever done, and quite a few non-fantasy/sci-fi media.

Wombat

First Post
Dozens of books on folklore and legends
The dictionary of Imaginary Places
The Dictionary of Angels
The Fieldguide to the Little People
The New Arthurian Encyclopeida
The writings of Ursula LeGuin, Guy Gavriel Kay, Italo Calvino, Ray Bradbury, J.R.R. Tolkein, and Sir Thomas Mallory
CIA World Factbook
Dozens of books of history, sociology, and technology

And hundreds of bookmarks on a variety of esoteric subjects, such as secret societies, landscaping, architecture, religion, mythology, conspiracies, language, and dozens of other topics...

I am a gaming polymath ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads