• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Can Be Found In Every One of My D&D Campaigns

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Last night as I drifted off to sleep, I did as I often do, and spent the time brain-storming for my next D&D campaign, and I started making a list of things, whether they be scenes, themes, conflicts or monsters that I try to hit on in each D&D campaign. Now, I don't claim these things are going to make for a great campaign for everyone, but rather these are the things that I have seen over the years that are fun for me and my players.

PCs Get Arrested
The players usually take care of this one for me and I don't have to work towards it, it just eventually happens when the headstrong adventurer type runs against the local law enforcement. But whether it be a the local corrupt constable, the misunderstanding sherriff, or the tragic conflict with an otherwise benevolent despot, I find these kind of scenes and situations to be fruitful for tense dramatic fight scenes, convoluted intrigue and good role-playing. It also helps establish the relationship between the local law and the power of figures like adventure, which is potentially disruptive to order.

Help from an Unexpected Source
Sometimes you just gotta throw your players a bone, and I like to do surprise them with this as much as with the dramatic twists that make them shake their fists at me with gleeful anger. ;) Whether it be the enemy of an enemy, local children, a wandering hermit, a good dragon in human form, a prophetic dream, etc. . . Of course, this is meant to balance the next item. . .

Some Random Really Bad Thing
THis is the reason why I use a crit chart in my campaigns. At least once per campaign I have to have some random awful thing happen to a PC, whether it be the loss of a limb or a loved one, the destruction of some property, or some other kind of bad luck, whether determined by the dice or DM fiat. I like how this kind of thing can be a turning point of any campaign, taking it in a direction even *I* had not foreseen. Also, the the random bad thing gives me the verisimilitude of the randomness of life and makes even the most powerful adventure consider the greater universe with a little humility. In the past campaigns, we had a a character lose an eye, another lost an arm, a hurricane destroyed the party's ship, a fireball from a wand of wonder killed a PC, and another had his parents get randomly shunted off to the outer planes due to a wild magic surge.

A Battles/Encounters At Sea
I love ships and sea stuff. It is for that reason that I created Aquerra as a world of many archipelagos. And so for most long journeys PCs are going to be on a ship - which allows for plenty of opportunities for sea monsters, pirates, storms, mutiny or denizens of the deep that climb aboard in the still of night. Being the type of DM (and player) that likes to use environmental conditions and topgraphy to allow/encourage different kinds of tactical thinking and dramatic scenes, combat at sea provides plenty of interesting variation for that kind of thing. Because there is so much water around in Aquerra, these encounters usually happen a few times in the timeframe of a campaign, but you can't do it too much or else the players will wonder how anyone gets anywhere if ships are constantly being attacked. . .;)

Something I have Never Done Before
Each campaign needs something new - especially when you are playing with the same basic group for years and years, you need to mix it up in a new way - whether it be setting the campaign in a part of the world they have never been to before, establish some theme from the very beginning, or reveal some campaign setting secret that has been floating around for years and never discovered before that will impress the players who have really "bought-in" to the setting. In my last campaign, "Out of the Frying Pan" (see sig) I had a very distinct set-up for the campaign and its initial direction. It was the first time I set up strident guidelines for making characters and required players to have one motivation in common in order to give the campaign a little push in a particular direction. The last long-term campaign before that was the first that ever had an over-arching plot from the very beginning of the game. In my next campaign we will be trying a collective form of character creation using a stat draft, and I have introduced influence and reputation rules (adapted from AGOT) for a more political game.

Playtest Some Crunchy Bits
While I do not use any supplemental D&D books, I am a homebrewer and a house-ruler. I would say that my groups plays about 65% 3.5 rules, 35% house rules - so that means there are lots of new spells, classes, feats, what have you that I have come up with that have never seen the light of day in-game. So once per campaign I usually see if one of the players is willing to play and use some of this stuff, with the understanding that I am looking for feedback and the character may change based on in-game results. I like having that kind of back and forth and critique process with my players.

Travel/Weather Encounters & Consequences
Whether it be traveling over snowy mountains, a trek over an arid region, a boat journey across a stormy bay, I love weather. And whether it be precarious cliffs, rope bridges, canyons, thick jungle, treacherous marshland with sinkholes or turbulent rapids, I love terrain and its effects. As a fan of Lord of the Ring style adventuring where just "getting there" can be half the adventure, I try to throw some of these things into each campaign. It is also a chance to allow PCs to use various skills, worry about damage from weather, forced marches and lack of food, and all that good stuff.

Developed Elements that are Consequences of Previous Campaigns
Whenever possible it is nice to bring back a loose thread from a previous campaign, or allow the PCs to interact with an NPC (or perhaps former PC) from a previous campaign that lets them see on a meta-level some of the things that have been happening since their old characters were running around the world. Sometimes it can be an old ally or rival, it could simply be a public figure, or even just hearing how the legends and rumors surrounding heroic (or anti-heroic) PCs have developed over time.

1E Fiend Folio Monsters
The 1E Fiend Folio is my favorite monster book of all time, so my players can expect to see a variety of those strange and wonderful monsters from that tome - whether it be the flail snail, the lizard king, the yellow musk zombie, the fire newt or the cifal - I am bound to use them.

So what is on your palette? What are the kinds of things you almost always use in a campaign when DMing?

Last edited:

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
el-remmen said:
So what is on your palette? What are the kinds of things you almost always use in a campaign when DMing?

Literally almost every thing you listed - sounds like yours is a campaign I'd love to play in. In my current game, I haven't "uncovered" any of the various undercover agents of good (Harpers, in my FR campaign), and they haven't been out to sea, yet, but I've introduced the captain and crew of the Salty Whore, so they'll know who to turn to when they have to get to the mysterious island an act or two from now. ;) Getting arrested is something they've successfully avoided so far, but I expect them to get good and framed in a few sessions. *evil DM face*

And the winter is only just getting started...

Shade

Monster Junkie
Hmmm....interesting thread. I'm sure there's more, but the only "givens" I can come up with right now are:

• Demons, devils, dragons, and yugoloths. I don't think I could avoid using them, even if I tried. :)
  • Extraplanar travel.
  • Lots of critters from previous editions.
  • Other Material Plane worlds.
  • The weapon master, arcane archer, archmage, and war hulk prestige classes.
  • Lots and lots of templates.

1) Some sort of 'Epic' story, whether the PCs figure it out or not. Usually several smaller adventures that tie together at some point.
2) Politics. Diplomacy or lack there of has made life interesting in my campaigns on more than one occassion.
3) Religion. An intregal part of a society is the value of religion they place on themselves. A well thought out pantheon that is ACTIVELY worshipped is a great realism builder.
4) Evil organizations. Whether an organized crime group or just an evil invading army, an organization makes for far more PC headaches and DM giggles than a single bad guy alone (although these usually have "star" players in the organization)
5) Red Herrings. I will script elaborate side-plots with no purpose than to pull the PCs away from the real issues at hand.

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
Weird History as a backdrop; whether it's Ancient Astronauts, the coming of Lovecraftian Horrors from the Outer Dark, the Lost Continent that developed High Tech (a la Atlantis, Lemuria or Mu) or The Past of the Game-World is Our Present (as with Thundarr the Barbarian) or all of these thrown together in a rainbow-colored campaign cocktail.

I use a lot of Aberrations in my games. :D

And Tabaxi; love them Tabaxi!

an_idol_mind

Explorer
One thing that has become a recurring event in my game is the PCs finding the deck of many things. It always gets a strange mix of awe and fear from the players, who know of the dangers of the deck but also know of the good it might do for them. Over the course of various campaigns, one PC gained a small kingdom but also had her lover of 15 years turn against her. Another one became trapped forever after losing all his magical items. The deck's original owner got three wishes (two of which backfired on him) and wound up summoning a demon that killed him.

The deck appeared again in my game recently, but the players were too nervous to draw from it. It did come in handy later on, though. A beholder was chasing them down, and one of the PCs managed to parlay with it, ultimately tricking it into drawing from the deck. The first card it drew was the Void. End of battle.

The current group has buried the deck in a secret spot so they won't be tempted to draw from it. But I'm sure it will turn up again to wreak havoc in a future game.

werk

First Post
I seem to almost always wind up with a party that feels overwhelmed. Whether its because they were tasked with a suicidal mission that they couldn't refuse, are pawns in someone's scheme, or are surrounded on all sides by enemy organizations and spies. They usually aren't in league with BBGGs, or when they are, the BBGGs have to keep their relationship secret for some reasons.

I'd say overwhelmed or 'in over their head' is a common theme in most of my games.

Oddly enough, I usually don't feel that way as a player.

Kid Socrates

First Post
Hmm. I always have:

* Rapidly Escalating Battles. I'm coming up on one now, where the party plans on accomplishing Goal A, only Enemies B and C are also planning to execute their goals at the same time, whereas Enemy D and Helpful Group E will be battling to accomplish a different goal yet the battles will intersect there, until it is F'n crazy. It helps them remember that there is a great big world out there, and a lot of it is dangerous. Plus, it's fun.

* This World Is Connected. One of my players hit the nail on the head here, and it was something I hadn't realized. Everything I run, every plot thread I introduce, every little tidbit of information I drop is tied to something else, and eventually everything is tied to everything else. They like this, which is good.

* Something Stupidly Complex For The GM To Try. In one of my cities, I have a concert hall called Horizon, and a pianist named Julia. She has done three acts, so far, of a tale from a thousand years in the past, of two long-dead nations and a dramatic battle between them that featured the summoning of two legendary dragons and the release of a fallen god called the Destroyer. I have done this little "cutscenes" by finding piano pieces across the Internet (usually Final Fantasy piano themes or works by Overclocked remixer Reuben Kee), editing them together using music-editing software, and writing myself a script to read as the music plays. It's very tricky, getting the words and the changes in music and theme to work together, not to mention the actual music-editing to keep it from sounding choppy and poor. I spend about six hours of actual working time writing and editing and remixing and practicing for a 15-minute performance, playing the music over my PC speakers and reading the scene. But they -adore- it. I have no idea what to try next.

That would be a lot cooler if I could actually compose and play my own piano pieces for it, but I only play the trumpet.

* Names With Meaning. I try to give all my major cities or villains or characters names that mean something. One of my villains is Dr. Arich Zokunnen. One of my players finally got curious and looked up Zokunnen in a Japanese dictionary to find out it meant "unholy desires." I then had a d20 thrown at me.

Those are the major things that come to mind.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads