• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Can Be Found In Every One of My D&D Campaigns

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
WayneLigon said:
Use at least one monster in a way I have not before
An example: ghouls. I love ghouls for many reasons, not the least being that they are not mindless. The normal ghoul encounter is to find them in some dank tomb, scurrying out to see if there is any fresh food about. This time, I used a group of recently-turned ghouls as an encounter. The party is camping for the night. It is cold and dank, a grim night to be out and about. A group of knights coming down the road hails them and begs to share their fire. They chat with the knights, who are mostly quiet and reserved.

Then one perceptive soul notices that though they breathe, their breath does not plume in the dank cold air.... The knights were simply waiting for them to drift on off to sleep, and then would feed. :) I wanted to go for the disturbing, though, so if they had not noticed this, I was going to have a raven fly down and land on a knight's shoulder. Then casually lean over and pull off a part of his ear. He wouldn't notice or mind. :)

Use an aspect of a monster that the others probably don't know about.
Did you know winter wolves talk? They speak Common, and Giant. None of my players knew this, until they were laid up in a hunter's cabin miles from nowhere, already badly hurt from a previous fight. Snow was howling outside. A scratch comes at the door. "Please help, we've been attacked.. let us in.." says the gruff voice from outside. "We're so hungry.."

The cabin's windows were shut tight but one guy manages a peek outside. Eight winter wolves are silently prowling around the place, with one scratching at the door and talking. It was toying with them, trying to get them to be the cause of their own doom. Freaked them out completely.

Remind the players that not all evil comes from the Dark Lord of Death Mountain
At least once in a campaign, they will follow a trail of evil and death back to it's source, and discover not some plotting wizard or insane abberation, but just some normal person who is greedy, stupid, selfish, or insane. Just to remind them that evil can stem from normal sources as well.

Find a way for them to interact in an interesting way with a monster they normally would kill.

Use a monster in an unusual way.
Adding class level to things made this very much easier. A pair of intelligent troll rogues. A vampire assassin with potions to mimic magical effects. Just.. something weird.

Despite the level of super pendantry and nitpickyness that goes on around here it's posts like yours that makes me glad that I stick around ENWorld. So much inspiration in just few sentences. Thank You.

DestroyYouAlot

First Post
Cedric said:
Every "morning", I roll a d100 and I ask my to do the same. I note my roll in secret and collect their rolls. If anyone rolls my number +/- 1, then the fates have conspired against them in some minor fashion.

Huh. Wow, I like that. Could be something to try...

Chainsaw Mage

First Post
ShinHakkaider said:
Despite the level of super pendantry and nitpickyness that goes on around here it's posts like yours that makes me glad that I stick around ENWorld. So much inspiration in just few sentences. Thank You.

Hey, isn't pedantry illegal in most countries?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads