D&D 5E [+] What can D&D 5E learn from video games?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
This makes me think of the issue of archetype balance and usefulness in PF 1e and why that was annoying.

It also makes me think back to 1e where there weren't that many powers/abilities/things a character could do relative to now... but I don't remember it feeling bad at the time.
1e and other games based on the pre-WotC editions had fewer codified powers for PCs, but didn't imply that those fewer abilities were all you should be doing. Also the more number-based widgets you give the PCs, the more people start getting concerned about "balance".

MuhVerisimilitude

Adventurer
This makes me think of the issue of archetype balance and usefulness in PF 1e and why that was annoying.

It also makes me think back to 1e where there weren't that many powers/abilities/things a character could do relative to now... but I don't remember it feeling bad at the time.
Possibly because the system has, since 1e, been increasingly generous with spell casters. Since every spell is a power it means that characters with less powers feel worse relative to those with many.

Remove ads