• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What can Heal actually heal?

Arryn

Explorer
We got to talking at my table about what can actually be healed with the Heal spell. We all know that it heals damage, but it also can heal "any diseases affecting the target."

So could it be used on an addict or alcoholic to break their addictions? What about mental diseases like schizophrenia?

This is a silly thing, but if a character had a vasectomy, would it heal that?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
In D&D, the term disease usually refers to a disease that affects the body, not a mental disease. I don't think drug or alcohol addiction would be classified as a disease for the purposes of D&D, but check with your DM. (The game doesn't really reference them at all - this is a fantasy game.)

There are also magical diseases (or have been in previous additions). Not sure if the spell would heal those - magical diseases tend to be harder to fix, even with magic.

Oofta

Legend
My ruling

We got to talking at my table about what can actually be healed with the Heal spell. We all know that it heals damage, but it also can heal "any diseases affecting the target."

So could it be used on an addict or alcoholic to break their addictions?
No, addiction is disease-adjacent but is not really a disease.

What about mental diseases like schizophrenia?
I would say yes, there is ample evidence that many mental diseases are caused by chemical /structural issues with the brain.

This is a silly thing, but if a character had a vasectomy, would it heal that?

No, physically repairing that would be similar to reattaching a limb and would require a regenerate. Well, or maybe a Greater Restoration if you consider a vasectomy a "debilitating effect". :)

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I'd treat a "mental disease" as a type of insanity, see the DMG. I don't think Heal works for them, but if I recall Greater Restoration does.

Mad_Jack

Legend
Mental illness in D&D has always traditionally fallen under insanity rules. Although you could argue that certain types of insanity that had a physical cause (lesions on the brain, etc.) might be cured by a Heal spell.
Magical diseases such as Mummy Rot generally have "Restoration/Greater Restoration required" specifically baked into their descriptions, but if the particular disease doesn't say so, it's probably curable with that Heal spell (expect table variation).

One thing Heal won't do is restore lost limbs or regenerate body parts, so much like your insurance company it won't cover trying to reverse that vasectomy...

cmad1977

Hero
Vasectomy: yes(?)
Insanity: no.
Addiction: yes(the physical parts of it anyways).

Edit: after looking through some of the posts I'd say
Vasectomy:no

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm one wonders if intestinal parasites would be considered a disease rather than unfriendly mooching hitchhikers. If so, then being able to flush them out with a single cast would be one of the great things about Heal. I mean, who needs the hassle of fighting orcs and demons while having to contend with an itchy digestive tract opening, amiright?

Al2O3

Explorer
Hmm one wonders if intestinal parasites would be considered a disease rather than unfriendly mooching hitchhikers. If so, then being able to flush them out with a single cast would be one of the great things about Heal. I mean, who needs the hassle of fighting orcs and demons while having to contend with an itchy digestive tract opening, amiright?
I think some monster consisting of parasites are explicitly called out as being killed by anything curing disease. So I would say yes on internal parasites.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using EN World mobile app

transtemporal

Explorer
Vasectomy, no. It doesn't restore the body to factory fresh settings. It just heals damage done.

But everything else (including Slaad eggs), yes.

Remove ads