• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E What Changes Do You Hope They Make To The 4E Rules?

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Charwoman Gene said:
He's canadian or something.

Edit: Australian, sorry. Really the same thing. Lots of Caribou and way too many french people.
You'll hear "cheers" for everything in Manchester as well, it's something Mancunian. But I'm still puzzled.

For 4E:

-> Less preperation time, more on-the-fly.
-> More flexible spell system (like AE?).
-> Less rules for small stuff, more general DM guidelines.
-> Eliminate dead levels, everybody needs cookies.
-> Consolidate CR and HD.
-> Conversion guide from everything d20 to 4E.
-> A fun gaming experience.

Cheers, LT.

Yair

Community Supporter
I like FireLance's points, and the similar lessons I've learned from Iron Heroes. So...

- Balance per-encounter
- Incorporate swift and immediate action, to increase options in each combat round
- Include complicated resource mechanics (like tokens) to further increase options in combat, but only as an alternative to more simple play (e.g. including Iron Heroes tokens but only for some feat and talent chains)
- Reduce number of unique powers, allowing for easier gameplay
- Increase the applicability of (all) skills in combat, by providing clear and scaling bonuses and benefits to the use of, say, Knowledge or Jump.
- Provide rules for "Opponents" that make them easy to run and most effective, not universal rules that allow players to play opponents.

But also....
- Reduced book-keeping; perhaps replace hit points with a wounds system/condition track
- Remove non-d20 mechanics, like turn undead or miss chance
- Unite some skills, e.g. Perception, Athletics...
- Simplified skill-rank system to allow for easier character generation; especially avoid retroactive affects (if he changed his Intelligence at fourth level...)
- Avoid affects with complicated ramifications. Instead of lowering your Dex, have the poison impose a -2 to ranged attacks, defense, and initative. Insted of lowering your level, have Raise Dead impose a negative energy level.
- Avoid having lots and lots of bonus types to keep track of. This is difficult, but will definitely ease gameplay.
- Simplify the spells. I have no idea how, but the spells should not require you to open the PH for every single one.
- Make the character's supernatural powers be inherent, not tied up in magic items.
- Make the magic items provide more extreme supernatural powers, but at a cost and with a nice flavor. It's best to tie them to the character, a la Weapons of Legend or something.
- Provide a rational for demongraphics and leveling, as a non-obligatory standard. Follow this through with reasonable economics.
- Incorporate action points in the core rules, as a means to balance odd-ball dice rolls.
- Incorporate interesting social rules, like the "social combat" or "get actions points" rules of Dynasties & Demagouges.
- Reintroduce the Birthright setting, with a more coherent vision and metaphysics.
- Lose the "Standard Action" term. Call actions "Main", "Secondary", "Swift", "Immediate", and "Free". A person can do a single main action, a single secondary action, and a single swift action, and any number of swift actions in his turn.

Destil

Explorer
I really dislike a lot of things people usually bring up in these threads, as their pretty much a big part of D&D, and I want to play D&D, not a "Generic D&D branded fantasy game". Stuff like how armor works, Hit Points, Vancian magic et cetera...

That said I like optional / house / variant rules. More sidebars explaining how to changed things and what effect those changes have would be wonderful... my ideal 4E would include a book similar to Arcana Unearthed as core rule book #4.

At the very least raise dead and save or die need to be addressed, but it's such a huge preference thing that anything other than a good list of options and what effects each has on the game / world as a sidebar won't make me happy.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I think that for 4e to be worth it there should be changes on the same scale as 2e ->3e. The kind of tweaks that many people on this thread have suggested seem like a ridiculous idea to me; no more than a 3.75e.

MoogleEmpMog said:
Everything changed from basic d20 in Star Wars Saga Edition

Like MEM I've been very impressed by design changes that have been made in SWSE - in class design, in skill design, in changes to melee combat.

I'd love to see similar new thinking applied to spells and magic items too.

If I was doing some imaginary 'blue sky' thinking, I'd like to see:

* Better mechanical support for adventures other than killing things and taking their stuff
* Better support for epic play (i.e. not just bigger numbers, but bigger adventures)
* elimination of buffing magic items, instead see fewer items which scale with their user better.

Not what everyone will want, of course!

Cheers

green slime

First Post
Retain classes and levels
Include Psionics and other base classes (Beguiler, shadowcaster, Dread Necromancer, etc) into core
Improved Item Creation rules.
Greater variety of player races in Core
Grades of cover and concealment.
Streamlined Grappling rules.
Spell system which lets caster mix-n-match to set level.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I'll second these from the OP:

Grappling
Counterspelling

Also, I'd add:

Turn Undead
Total overhaul of the epic rules
Stunts, manoeuvres, that kind of thing

Oh god, too many things. . . never mind. :p

The Cardinal

First Post
- less bookkeeping, especially at higher levels
- reduced dependency on magic items
- only Warrior/Mage/Priest/Thief/Warlock, with talent trees making Barbarian, Scout, Paladin, Druid, Bard, Archivist, etc. all special cases of those classes or their combinations. Warlock replaces Sorcerer
- no more PrCs

Ravenknight

First Post
Grappling, turn undead and everything else that doesn´t use D20 mechanics and forces my players to read the PHP before each action. Simpler gameplay.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads