What class(es) should she have?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
A woman is a baroness in a small mountain village far away from cosmopolitan life. She's 16 and the last of her line. Raised by her own poor yet devoted subjects.

Change comes.

A group of youths went off to find adventure when she was 14. They found -something-, and somebody murdered them in their beds after their return over it.

Two years later a bunch of outlanders show up looking for clues an ancient secret. They find it, they find the mysteries of long forgotten gods.

A month later the kingdom sends a new noble to take her lands. A result of defaulted taxes. It's largely thanks to the outlanders that the kingdom even remembers the village.

Or is it.

The outlanders become fast friends with the woman and when she's displaced they secretly take her side. Giving her moral support if nothing else. Until she disapears.

Another month goes by and it turns out the new noble is a priest of dark gods, his wife a succubus.

The outlanders are taken captive and made to watch as the new lord sacrifices the woman to his faith.

They escape, and begin a geurilla war to take the village from him. One of the outlanders is from a disgraced noble family on the kingdom's opposite end. Due to her teams discoveries and efforts she is elevated to baroness and given the titles to the land she is fighting for.

In the struggle we are just about up to the current point. The outlanders (the PCs) have just taken heavy losses (50% party wipeout) in a failed attempt to assassinate the dark lord. They have managed however to inflict heavy losses on his side, killing most of his senior people, his succubus lover, and large numbers of his forces.

And the key point in this question... they recovered the body of the baroness and have raised her.

She is now the cohort to the noblewoman who now officially holds her titles; my PC.

I've been given sanction to build her character sheet. When last alive we could assume she was a low level something or another.
Now she's come back suddenly with 8 levels.

But in what?

The group consists of:
a level 9 archer-7/noble-1/sharpshooter-1 human female(me)
a level 6 ranger/rogue drow female (cr 8)
a level 7 druid-1/wizard-6 gnome female

Next session a new PC will join as a level 7 cleric human male
The other losses are not getting replaced yet (other people's secondary PCs, cohorts, and a hobgoblin ally - a total of 4 dead).
The cleric is probably going to have a paladin cohort.

And we will likely have a bunch of hobgoblin warriors around as followers (an alliance we made, they were the most trustworthy people in the area... :) )

(The DM rules that you can have both a cohort and followers. None of know if that's a house rule or the way it's supposed to work :) )

My plan for my cohort is probably as moral support. I've been told she is not going to be very potent in the arcane if I go that way (it was not something she would have had before death/rebirth) and we all know she is no warrior type.

So the likely choices are things like Bard, Courtier, Noble, and so on.

The resources I'm drawing from are the PHB, Sovereign Stone, Kalamar Player's Guide, and the Rokugan book. But fitting what I take to a normal fantasy game.

I'm leaning on levels in the Muse prestige class from the Kalamar book. So it's the 'foundation class(es)' that I'm unsure of.

Stat wise, she will be a 25 point character, with Cha as the likely high stat. Int will probably be low as she's not educated, but Wis high as she is smart and 'knows the score'.

Opinions? Ideas?

I've 2 weeks to make a character. :)

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
Of your listed sources, I only have the core rules. But I don't see anything wrong with making her an 8th level aristocrat from the DMB. Sure, she wouldn't have any cool powers. But with the Leadership feat and high social skills she could get everyone else to do her dirty work for her.

Xeriar

First Post
I probably wouldn't go all eight levels as aristocrat (noble). At least two, but seven at the most... She's had an interesting life, so you will want to add something in to spice things up.

You will want to think about how she went about combating the 'usurper'. If it's with the support of the people, you will want to have bard and aristocrat levels. If it is an underground sort of thing, rogue levels. If she turned to sorcery (even if only a little) - sorcerer (she clearly is not gonna be a wizard...).

Dr. Zoom

First Post
Bard 5, rogue 3 sounds good.

Stats could be:
Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 12
Int: 8
Wis: 14
Cha: 16

Level 4 increase: Cha
Level 8 increase: Wis

Feats: Dodge, Skill Focus (Perform), Weapon Finesse (rapier), Weapon Focus (rapier)

Skills: Focus on the Cha, Wis, and Dex skills

DWARF

First Post
`

Perhaps Basiran Dancer instead of Bard? Kinda ties into a noble-womans upbringing a bit more than your standard bard.

Also, perhaps some Spellsinger levels.

Man do I love my Kalamar Players Guide!

But really, I think for the background, at least half of the levels should be aristocrat.

Black Omega

First Post
I'd say a level or two of courtier at least. Nothing wrong with Aristocrat, but Courtier is a PC class and handles the same stuff. Mix in with fighter or bard and you have someone who's ace with the social skills and can still be useful in other ways.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Dwarf: I'd love to go spellsinger, but the DM wasn't keen on arcane levels as she never showed such traits before hand.

My thinking is that she might just have been a level 1 type before the death, but come back 'changed' by the experience.

The Courtier class appeals, as do a variety of noble options, but she's never had much experience with the nobility. My PC is the only noble she's ever known well; and I'm the sort who came from a barony that consisted of a farm, a couple chickens, and a small village. My PC ran away from home at 14 to join a gang of bandits... :)

She's got an even smaller holding than me, and one that was so remote it had disapeared from many of the kingdoms maps. The locals were barely aware they owed fealty to anybody other their lady... :)

I'm taking her as my cohort for plot reasons, I took a real shine to the NPC when we first met her and didn't like her getting killed the way she did, so I made things into a personal quest to avenge her and then 'bring her back'.

If she wasn't my cohort and we raised her, I expect she'd come in as a level 1-3 expert or even commoner.

But as a cohort, it's time to make her "interesting".

(contact)

Explorer
My thinking is that she might just have been a level 1 type before the death, but come back 'changed' by the experience.

Which could justify sorcerer levels.

Campaign note: There is a mid-level expert in town along with a mysterious dwarven architect that she could have had training from, earlier in her life, which could justify PC class levels.

Also, lets keep in mind that because of the nature of the campaign, she may very well be a frequent combatant, so just from a meta-game point of view, we should give her as much juice as possible.

Aristocrat 2/Expert 1 would make a lot of sense for her story-wise, but would get her killed with a quickness. ;)

So the question is, how do you justify 8 class levels? And what classes?

If you were to build her with NPC classes, I think you would have a strong case for a level 9 or 10 character (see below).

The presence of the mysterious dwarf, and/or other in-game mysteries (we are very near a site that we believe to be the oldest dwarven city in existance, quite literally the location of the dwarves' Eden myth) could justify spellcaster levels in sorcerer.

I favor Aristocrat 2, Expert 1, Sorcerer 6.

(If I were DMing, I would give her 9 levels in this case since three of them are NPC classes, and she is starting with no treasure or magic -- at best, she's a CR 7)

This above combination reflects her limited experience as a noble, her brief schooling with Ashnern (the Expert) and her exceptional soul-power. It would also (metagame wise) give you an opportunity to tailor her spell list to be uniquely helpful to Selise (Arcady's character).

This 'bonded companion' aspect to Leadership makes it one of the strongest feats in the game, IMO.

One of the things I did building my follower for this game is used it as an opportunity to play with a really interesting multiclass combination that I would probably otherwise not have chosen for a PC.

Remove ads