• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What class for a "smart warrior"?

BigCat

First Post
Hi folks,

What would be the best classes and powers for building a melee warrior who relies on Intelligence or Wisdom? I'm looking to build a "smart warrior" concept that is still effective close up with weapons. Thanks for any help!

Mentat55

First Post
Swordmage or avenger use the right ability scores, and use melee weapons, but have a lot of supernatural effects. Maybe if you choose the right powers and reskin them, it would work.

Alternatively, I'd just take the fighter or rogue and make all his powers Int or Wis, instead of Str or Dex. Or play an Int-focused tactical warlord -- if you have both a good Int and a good Str, you could be a great "smart warrior" while still being tough in melee.

MrMyth

First Post
I've toyed with this a bit myself, in terms of an Int-based fighter at least. Swordmage certainly has the stats, but also adds a significant magical flavor that might not be suitable. Tactical Warlord is a good choice. But honestly - you can build the character as an actual Fighter, and just focus on having a good Int instead of the more typical focus on a good Dex. Perhaps multiclass Warlord for some Int-based elements, while allowing you to remain a fighter at the core. Pick up Skill Training for relevant skills like History, etc.

Fighters have plenty of powers to choose from that don't deal with secondary stats, so it is easy to keep pumping Int and not care about having a high Dex or Con. Focus on it enough, and you might even be able to wear light armor and take advantage of your high Int!

Choose powers that might have tactical elements, like disarming a foe or moving them into the right position, etc.

Going with a focus on Wisdom is actually even easier, since that is a good secondary skill for Fighters. Even better, actually, could be the Warden - while they have some overtly supernatural effects, it wouldn't take too tricky a selection of powers to focus on being a more ordinary warrior. And they make very good use of Wisdom, making them a solid possibility.

I think I've heard rumors that Martial Power 2 may have an Int-based build for the Rogue, which might fit as well if true.

Snotboy

First Post
All of the above. Fighters already benefit from a high Wisdom, as well as Rangers. Tactical Warlords benefit from having a high Intelligence--in some cases, even if it's higher then their Strength.

Avengers rely on Wisdom as a primary stat, and have builds that benefit from Dexterity and Intelligence, and you can select feats and powers that downplay the Divine aspect of the class.

If you want Intelligence as your attack stat, you have the Swordmage, but as was already said, it has a lot of overtly Arcane flavor that if much harder to get around.

Zaran

Adventurer
I would think someone who uses his wits while still fighting with weapons is pretty much a Warlord. While most of their powers are about directing others, they still have very good attack powers as well.

Ed Gentry

First Post
I agree with Mentat's idea of reskinning the powers. I think people forget how easy it is to keep the basic intentionality and mechanical properties of a power but change the flavor of them. Why does it have to be that a magical point of light guides the warrior's hand to the critical spot in the enemy's armor? Why can't it be that he furrows his brow, yells "Ah-ha!" and strikes at just the right spot. Mundane (meaning non-magical) explanations of powers are always possible and it lets you really customize the character without breaking any rules. Just a thought. :)

Klaus

First Post
Guardian Fighter. The "+1 with one-handed weapons" lets you start with a lower Str (17), which in turn lets you put more points into Wisdom. There are several feats that allow you to benefit more of Wisdom (such as the one that lets you use Wis for initiative).

Stuntman

First Post
You can try a tactical warlord. Str is his primary ability, but Int is his secondary ability. Many of his powers have an Int rider.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads