• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What class is your first 5e character?

Which class will you play first?

• Barbarian Beserker

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Barbarian Totem Warrior

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Bard of the College of Lore

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Bard of the College of Valor

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Cleric of Death (will be in the DMG)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cleric of Knowledge

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Cleric of Life

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • Cleric of Light

• Cleric of Nature

• Cleric of Tempest

• Cleric of Trickery

• Cleric of War

• Druid of the Circle of the Land

• Druid of the Circle of the Moon

• Fighter - Champion

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Fighter - Battle Master

Votes: 10 6.2%
  • Fighter- Eldritch Knight

• Monk of the Way of the Open Hand

• Monk of the Way of the Shadow

• Monk of the Way of the Four Elements

• Paladin sworn to the Oath of Devotion

• Paladin sworn to the Oath of the Ancients

• Paladin sworn to the Oath of Vengeance

• Ranger - Hunter

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Ranger - Beast Master

• Rogue - Thief

• Rogue - Assassin

• Rogue - Arcane Trickster

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Sorcerer of a Draconic Bloodline

• Sorcerer of Wild Magic

• Warlock with an Archfey patron

• Warlock with a Fiend patron

• Warlock with a Great Old One patron

• Warlock with a pact of the Chain

• Warlock with a pact of the Blade

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Warlock with a pact of the Tome

• Wizard of the School of Abjuration

• Wizard of the School of Conjuration

• Wizard of the School of Divination

• Wizard of the School of Enchantment

• Wizard of the School of Evocation

• Wizard of the School of Illusion

• Wizard of the School of Necromancy

• Wizard of the School of Transmutation

• Undecided

• I plan to DM

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • Not playing or running 5e, but polls are nifty

• Poll closed .

Curmudjinn

Explorer
I haven't played a barbarian in years, so I started true 5th edition with a human barbarian berserker in a norse setting. It's a good time.

I played a high elf fighter/wizard (bladesinger) in the playtest though, which was also very fun.

Mandragola

First Post
I think my character will be a paladin, possibly multiclassed as a warlock. I’m trying to come up with a fluff justification for this, potentially to do with having been rescued from evil cultists as a child, but not before they had managed to perform some kind of evil ritual, then raised by the church (acolyte background).

Build-wise the idea would be to play a “true” multiclass character, advancing in both classes by roughly the same amount rather than dipping into one or other. Level 1 would have to be warlock I think, but I’d quickly take a paladin level to be proficient with stuff. Probably eventually get pact bade and oath of vengeance.

Not totally sure what rules we'll be playing though. A single-class paladin could also be lots of fun.

Mercule

Adventurer
I broke your rules and double-voted. I'm DMing, but I very badly want to play a wood-elf monk of the open hand. That looks like it would synergize in awesome ways -- to the point that I'm going to be adding it into my campaign setting. I never really minded the monk disappearing in 2E, and didn't add it back in for 3E; I don't mind monks, they just never really seemed to "flow" in my setting. But, the wood elves had been enslaved by a dark empire for several hundred years and were just freed. Being prohibited from carrying weapons is a pretty effective way to encourage the development of unarmed fighting styles. Plus, elves in my world follow the 1E reincarnation/spirit-not-soul trait, so they're fairly Zen, anyway.

That said, if I was playing, it'd be a wood-elf monk, for sure. Second choice would probably be a paladin.

FWIW, the Bard just looks horribly broken, to me. I'd allow one, to see how it plays. It just looks like it's a better skill-monkey than the Rogue, as good with a sword as the Fighter (barring extra attacks), and somewhere between Sorcerer and Wizard (with a dash of Cleric) for spell casting. I know things sometimes read differently than they play, but the Bard sets off my DM klaxons like crazy.

Scripture

First Post
I'll be playing a Necromancer. He's a sociopath, so neither good nor evil, but true neutral. Living things are just objects as are minions.

Basically, it's nothing personal.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Played for the first time on Labor Day. I was with 4 other DMs waiting for players and literally /none/ showed (Mondays at conventions can be pretty slow). So we had a pickup game. I slightly re-did the Dwarf Cleric pregen.

Not really that great. I'm still thinking Druid if I ever get serious about playing.

Vardelm

Villager
I used to frequent ENWorld quite a bit in its early days while waiting for 3E. Since I don't play D&D anymore, this is my first post on ENWorld in years, as well as on this account, so hello ENWorld! I have books from each edition, and I LOVE what I see in 5E, so I at least rolled my 1st character in years just to play around a bit. I did 2 sets of 4d6 rolls since the 1st set came out HORRIBLE! Nothing above 11.... I got great rolls on the 2nd attempt and ended up with the following:

Race: Hill Dwarf
Class: Monk (eventually Way of the Four Elements)
Background: Acolyte

Str: 10
Dex: 16
Con: 15
Int: 12
Wis: 17
Cha: 10

Skills: Acrobatics, History, Insight, Religion

Alignment: Lawful Good
Personality Traits: Sees omens in every event. Quotes sacred texts & proverbs.
Ideals: Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god's favor by matching my actions against teachings.
Bonds: I would die to recover an ancient relic of my faith that was lost long ago.
Flaws: I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.

I see him as similar to the Diablo III monk, with a bit of a dwarven twist: the Way of Four Elements fits well with dwarf lore, IMO.

Even if I never get around to playing, I look forward to seeing the DMG and other 5E products. Flipping through them still gets my imagination going.

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
My first 5e character is, like many of my characters, a little ridiculous, but played straight.

Minotaur bard in Dragonlance. He's a romantic type.

He's eventually skewing toward the College of Valour, I believe, because I don't see him as a brilliant and cunning seeker of lore as much as I see him as a himbo, something like the cover of a romance novel, but with the head of a bull.

Ha, bovine-Fabio!

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
I broke your rules and double-voted. I'm DMing, but I very badly want to play a wood-elf monk of the open hand. That looks like it would synergize in awesome ways -- to the point that I'm going to be adding it into my campaign setting. I never really minded the monk disappearing in 2E, and didn't add it back in for 3E; I don't mind monks, they just never really seemed to "flow" in my setting. But, the wood elves had been enslaved by a dark empire

How about a bark empire?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
So yeah, turns out I misread how multiclassing "works" in 5e and won't be using it after all. Hereby amending my vote to single-class Bard, College of Lore.

... and resolving myself to having to fix the multiclassing rules again...

Mercule

Adventurer
I'll be playing a Necromancer. He's a sociopath, so neither good nor evil, but true neutral. Living things are just objects as are minions.

Basically, it's nothing personal.
Hah! I did something like that with one of the 2E Wizard variants. I built him around the Item spell and had a variant for every level, up to 6th (campaign ended). At some point, I was able to item living creatures and stick them in my pocket. He wasn't a bad guy (CN). He was just a little... um... utilitarian. Also, his custom Item spells turned things into cards/plaques instead of tokens. At some point, he had decks of mundane items stored in his pockets, including things like beds, doors, kids toys, whatever. Great fun.

Remove ads