D&D 5E What classes do you want added to 5e?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
An Elementalist class could have a sub-class for each classic element, maybe plus wood & metal. Each could have a focused set of magical powers (and thematically related proficiencies) using its element without all the hassle of prepping & casting spells, tracking slots, optimizing a build or the like. Just blast things with fire, or lightning, or heal with the comforting power of water or protect with the solidity of earth & stone... and off you go.
Pathfinder Kineticist wouldn't be a bad place to look for inspiration on this sort of idea. That class is elemental themed, and mechanically much like the 3.5 Warlock (a progressive damage ranged blast, and multiple at-will use talents revolving around its elemental theme).

Tony Vargas

Legend
Pathfinder Kineticist wouldn't be a bad place to look for inspiration on this sort of idea. That class is elemental themed, and mechanically much like the 3.5 Warlock (a progressive damage ranged blast, and multiple at-will use talents revolving around its elemental theme).
I was thinking Elemental Sorcerer and the various Themes from HotEC, but I guess 3.5/PF has fished out just about every idea pond there is when it comes to classes over the last 15 years... ;)

Edit: [sblock="An annoying 'Word Nerd' aside:"] I'm guessing 'Kineticist' is a psionic with ______kinesis, like Pyro-kinesis or whatever? Those neologism are derived by replacing the 'Tele' in Telekinesis with some root for an element or whatever Pyrokinesis, Cryokinesis, etc. Well, they're swapping the wrong root. Tele- is 'at a distance' and -kinesis is 'movement.' It'd be more logical to have a Telecist who variously used Telekinesis, Telepyris, Telecryosis, etc...

...now that really wasn't worth clicking on, was it?[/sblock]

Last edited:

The keys for a new class are:

- Right balance of power, of course.

- Interesting background. The incarnate and the soulborn classes from "Magic of Incarnum" were too close to paladin, and boring characters.

- Fun gameplay. The class features also to be fun and interesting for players. For example the psychic enervation by psionic wilder wasn't interesting to be used for me.

My suggestion is all famous concept or achetypes should be a class, or "variant classes" (a pack of subtitute class features): Knight, gladiator, swashbuckler, assasin, samurai, ninja....

Why a new class and not only a subclass? It isn't about gameplay but marketing. Some people would rather to play a no core class because always the classic fighter-rogue-wizard-cleric is too boring.

The psionic ardent has a great potential to create new stories about love-hate relations with the divine-spellcasters. And the binder with the vestiges pacts.

The incarnum soulborn and incarnate weren't too interesting for me about background, but I like the concept of chakras (body slots for magic items) and points of essentia for buff efects. I imagine a reboot of totem shaman where the points of essentia are spent to "buy" monster traits like natural weapons and armour, wings, breath attacks..

Remove ads