• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What classes for a 6th and possibly 7th party member?

thalmin

Retired game store owner
We are going to be running some Starter Set intro games in store on July 5. Just in case we need to accommodate extra players, what (of the core 4) classes would you pick for a 6th party member. And for a 7th, assuming the starting 5 are the pregen 2 fighters, cleric, rogue, and wizard. I'm less concerned about the races.

Shadimar

First Post
Really depends on the players and their experience levels. To me handing a brand new player a wizard just worries me a little, but could also be a non-event.

It may also depend on whether you're using battle maps/minis or not. If you are , then I would try and avoid having an abundance of melee characters. Maybe encourage the Archer and one of the spellcasters. Though a second rogue could come in handy

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Whatever the players want? Really, once all four bases are covered I'd just want the players engaged with the game. If they all want to be rogues or clerics, have at 'er!

Ronin84

First Post
Curt

I would suggest another Cleric, and thief...that is what my home group has been using and that combination has been pretty useful.

Greg L.

Whatever the players want? Really, once all four bases are covered I'd just want the players engaged with the game. If they all want to be rogues or clerics, have at 'er!
I'm with Kobold Stew: can you really go wrong? Even a third fighter wouldn't be completely useless.

Honestly, if I were in your spot, I'd just photocopy the pregens and let 'em all do as they like. My only worry would be having enough background hooks to go around.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I'm with Kobold Stew: can you really go wrong? Even a third fighter wouldn't be completely useless.

Honestly, if I were in your spot, I'd just photocopy the pregens and let 'em all do as they like. My only worry would be having enough background hooks to go around.
Yes, the Background hooks will take the most work. And I suppose my choices will favor any other classes that offer 2 styles, like the melee and ranged fighters. I would prefer not having any 2 characters alike. Maybe I will just come up with 3 character to cover the remaining 3 classes.
Of course, I will also have to check the encounters to be able to figure the right number of monsters to add.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
The paladin, ranger or bard makes good "6th man" party members IMO as they offer some spellcasting and healing capabilities along with other different abilities.

SavageCole

Punk Rock Warlord
The paladin, ranger or bard makes good "6th man" party members IMO as they offer some spellcasting and healing capabilities along with other different abilities.

Will any of those classes be available in Basic/Starter Set or are they released mid-August with the PHB?

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
PHB

Sorry i was speaking in general. Going only with Basic D&D, ideal 6th and 7th man should be an additional cleric and fighter IMO

Paraxis

Explorer
The first five are the pregen characters. From the Basic Set rules I would do the following.
  1. Human Fighter melee build, noble
  2. Dwarf Cleric, life domain
  3. Elf Wizard, evoker
  4. Human Fighter, archer build
  5. Halfling rogue, thief build
  6. Elf Rogue, thief
  7. Human Cleric, life
  8. Dwarf Wizard, evoker

At 7 players they will need an extra cleric, for the healing. Elf makes a good rogue, and Dwarf casting in armor will get some of the old school players out of their comfort zone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads