• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What classes getting used at your table?

Ludus

First Post
Lightfoot halfing rogue (thief)
Half-elf paladin (devotion)
Half-elf warlock (Great Old One; I'm not sure which pact)
Hill dwarf druid (moon)

My group is not using the variant human.

Hapami

First Post
My group has had two rounds of characters. 1st round was just starting out, 2nd round is now that they have a better grasp of the game and wanted to try different things out.

1st round:

Gnome Wizard (Evoker)
Mountain dwarf Bard (Valor)
Dragonborn Paladin (Oath of Vengeance)

2nd round:
Variant human Cleric (Tempest)
Tiefling Sorcerer (Wild Mage)
High elf Warlock (Blade/Great Old One)

The first player went from the Wizard to the Cleric (going heavy armor and 2Her with thunder/lightning powers) because he always plays Wizards and wanted to try something different. The second wasn't fond of the personality he made for his Bard, and wanted to mess with the Wild Mage as a sort of chaos-enchanter. The third mostly wanted to round the group out, and so went from being the frontliner/semi-healer to a mix of melee and ranged damage.

So far, they have all had great opportunities to flavor their characters how they wanted to. I also houseruled that people can reskin what a spell's damaging element is to whatever they want (rest of the spell's effects stay the same), which worked out well for the Cleric wanting to make his spells into more lightning-flavored things. The Wild Mage is going for a very chaotic enchanting/face guy, which will be interesting to see play out. The Warlock is going for a psionics feel (playing in Eberron) and felt that a Great Old One Warlock would capture that best.

Been a blast seeing them not only have options, but feel like they have options, which was something that they didn't quite get in Pathfinder with most of the classes.

practicalm

Explorer
In my group (we don't always see everyone show up)
Wood Elf Tempest Cleric who left her temple because she learned forbidden knowledge
Human Spy
Half-orc Barbarian former slave who is going to go back and free his family
Human Fighter
Wood Elf Shadow monk who joined the party after they rescued her
Dragonborn Circle of the Moon druid
Human Dragon hunting ranger
Halfling Wizard also rescued by the party from some villains
Dwarf Oath of the Ancients Paladin looking for revenge against the giant that killed his father
Wood Elf Fey Pact Warlock charged with clearing her family's honor by bring her twin sister to justice

AntiStateQuixote

Enemy of the State
Level 4 game started the weekend that Basic was published. Updated characters after PHB.

hill dwarf cleric of Thor (tempest)
human battlemaster archer
human rogue arcane trickster
half elf paladin (no oath yet)/warlock (fey pact))
half elf bard smarty pants (lore)

human rogue assassin (retired to play pally/warlock)
high elf evoker (retired - taking a break from gaming)
human champion great weapon fighter (retired - player on indeterminate hiatus)

Piston Honda

First Post
Started my first 5e game today at level 1,

Human Warlock (Pact with the Great Old One)
Gnome Wizard (Transmutationist)
Dwarf Fighter (Who was recently imprisoned unjustly, and has people constantly eyeballing him)
Human Barbarian (Uber violent)
Human Ranger (Secret royalty)
Human Monk (Nearly died when a bandit critted hitting him in the face with his empty crossbow, not relevant but was the best moment of the game so far.)

fba827

Adventurer
Doing a non accurate tally (that involved "find" on class name keywords and eye balling it for context), we have the following ...

Cleric 28
Wizard 27
Fighter 26
Rogue 22
Paladin 17
Warlock 17
Bard 13
Monk 12
Barbarian 11
Ranger 11
Druid 9
Sorcerer 2
Druid-Monk 2
Fighter-Warlock 2
Rogue-Monk 2
Cleric-Wizard 1
Fighter-Bard 1
Paladin-Warlock 1
Ranger-Wizard 1
Sorcerer-Warlock 1

(note, when I have more time I can redo it with subclass archtypes but was just doing it for main class names for now)

This actually does make me feel better because at every 5e game I've played so far (some of which includes Adventure League play so I was seeing random people each time), more than half of the characters that sat at the table with me were always bards and warlocks and I never saw a single fighter or rogue or ranger not counting pregen characters handed out to someone new. (Though as of this weekend i did see my first fighter and range join us at the table, but the other half of the group was still bards and warlocks)

Remove ads