• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What classes will be in the martial power book?

Victim

First Post
Moniker said:
Or how about a Fighter paragon path called Shieldmaster, who can absorb blows for folks and intercept ranged attacks for fellow allies that are adjacent to him?

What about an Intimidate/Persuasion-based skilled Fighter paragon called the Indomitable Warrior that controls his enemies on the battlefield by using yells and skill checks to draw attention away from his allies and upon himself? Meaning, he uses Intimidates versus Will defense of enemies to get them to engage him?

Much like Flynn, I'm all about the idea of an Archer who can be a martial controller. Unlease a volley of arrows in four squares, causing Damage over Time and a reduction in movement in those particular squares.

The first two both sound like Defenders. Control powers for archery seem like an aside compared to the single target damaging aspects in the skill set.

Brian Compton

First Post
DM Magic said:
I've never heard of a martial controller before. What would one look like in d20 terms?

The Knight from PHII would qualify. They can affect the movement and actions of their opponents, either nullifying them or causing them to accept disadvantageous positions on the battlefield. Things like denying them a 5' step or forcing them to choose between fighting the knight or taking AoO's. The downside is that he has a battle code, including not being allowed to benefit from flanking (though I think he can provide it for rogue allies). Still, giving up a +2 to attack for being able to put enemies in a bind is not bad- you can focus on the knight and let the rogue wound you with impunity, or you can focus on the rogue and let the knight pummel you every round with multiple attacks.

Brian Compton

First Post
Greenfaun said:
I'm a little surprised the Arcane book isn't coming out first, though. We know they're actively working on the Swordmage and Illusionist, and there have been vague statements about Necromancers too, but I guess they've got more Martial stuff in the pipe. Weird.

They want to give the sword swingers a little extra love for once. With the exception of Complete Warrior, Bo9S (which was entirely optional), and a few feats here and there, straight-combat types got very little attention in 3E or 3.5. Compare that to all the books on magic and magic-users that came out, and I think you'll agree the meat-cleavers got the short end there. Now is their time to shine! CROM! :mad:

Simm

First Post
I think the 3.5 knight is the closest thing to a 4e Defender, being one of the few sticky 3.5 classes had abilities that made it hard to ignore. I think a martial controller would be something like the Dervish PrC: Focused on getting a large number of attacks, being able to move between attacks and being able to easily move through enemies.

Sadrik

First Post
drothgery said:
I see Assassin as a base class; the Shadow power source's striker. Could be wrong there, though.
Hmm, that is good.
Shadow power source classes:
Illusionist
Necromancer
Assassin

Me likey.

Mourn said:
Originally Posted by Greenfaun
Monk
Samurai

I suspect these will come with a Ki power source in the future.
I hope they dont make that its own Power Source. Monk should be a psionic striker and samurai should be a warlord or fighter hence martial.
Mourn said:
As they've already stated that the Barbarian is the same power source as the Druid, I highly doubt he'll be in this book.
Source?

Sadrik

First Post
Simm said:
I think the 3.5 knight is the closest thing to a 4e Defender, being one of the few sticky 3.5 classes had abilities that made it hard to ignore. I think a martial controller would be something like the Dervish PrC: Focused on getting a large number of attacks, being able to move between attacks and being able to easily move through enemies.
But that is their definition for striker though. Movement and lots of damage...

Nymrohd

First Post
Why does the book have to have classes? The PHB will likely have 4 martial characters; they can easily make an accessory that provides more crunch for those classes. More powers and more feats, several paragon paths and epic destinies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads