• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What "classic" races are left? -- Forked Thread: PH3 Playtest Race: Wilden

Jack7

First Post
Game mechanics, not fluff.

It wouldn't be my cup of tea. If I were gonna do an animal race then I'd just make humanoids who through some means, magical or otherwise, possessed animal capabilities. Like the sight of an eagle or the hearing of a wolf or the olfactory sensitivity of a polar bear. Maybe also they would have some type of animal affinity or communications or shared sensing abilities.

But, I also don't imagine it would be too difficult mechanically to give outright animals psionic or magical capabilities to control certain objects. Maybe even symbiotically with people. For instance a man uses his Wizard's staff and a dog-race can't outright control it for him but dog-buddy can allow the man through the staff to do things that he couldn't do otherwise. Such as see or hear through the dog's senses, or perhaps the dog can guide the Wizard to the weak point on an enemy, or help him see the "invisible enemy" that the dog can sense easily enough. (This is how I'd use magical animals in my games, and have, but not as races, but as companions. They have a symbiotic relationship, but they aren't necessarily familiars, and they operate independently and without being guided - as creatures in their own right, not controlled or instructed, they are real independent "companions," though sometimes they can also be "totems.")

But as to your point it seems to me that in a fantasy setting or with a fantasy game race all you really have to do is say, "their magic (or psionic capabilities) includes the ability to control physical objects not with their hands but with their minds or with their magic." Then they "floaty around" whatever is needed when needed. Their companions could back-pack their rod or wand as needed, then they pull it out and employ it. Makes as much sense as anything else in most fantasy settings and you wouldn't have to retrofit anything. You'd make the race control the object, not tailor the object to the race.

I can also see a fantasy animal race developing over time in symbiosis with some other race. Say a group of elves notice over time that their animals are acting very oddly and then eventually they establish magical or mental contact with them. It wouldn't have to be real talking (though it could be), it could just be knowing what they other wants or intends. Then by experimentation the elves start devising collars or harnesses with magical properties that enhance the capabilities of their said animals, who later develop and evolve into a playing race. I'm primarily thinking here of already existing animal species but in a fantasy game you create an entirely new type of creature with animal capabilities.

Then again as many others have mentioned you could have chimeras (composite creatures), Centaurs, or what not. They'd be animal but with human capabilities as well. Or the reverse, depending on how you looked at it.

Or lycanthropes who retain some semblance of human thought and morphology. I mean heck, Wookies are just big, slightly anthromorphosized and anthromorphized animals, and they're supposed to be some kinda technology experts. I don't see it with the furry paws and all but, c'est la vie.

And come to think of it, if you did want to go the route of fashioning special magical or mundane equipment just for some particular animal race then that would give you another book to sell. You could call it something like Unorthodox Animal Equipment, or, the Book of Bizarre Stuff. Animal races aren't my thing per se, so I wouldn't buy it myself, but somebody sure would. (Not sure it would make a profit necessarily though, but then again I've often wondered about the profit motive of a lot of the books I've seen released.)

I guess what I'm saying is that if you can have horned demon people and dragon humanoids spitting acid and fey-stepping purple eyed folk from another world then it seems to me it wouldn't be too hard to make an animal race who can float objects in the air and smell into tomorrow.

It's not like it has to make real sense. It just has to pique the interest of gamers enough to make em wanna play. Like the half-orc. I never understood the I'd like to play virtues of the half-orc. But somebody liked it.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
Actual monster PC classes (ala savage species). None of this watered down LA+0 basic race crap. :]

I will take a true dragon over a dragonborn any day.
Now would you, or others, be happy with a combination of race and character class, like the Racial Character Classes of Rifts?

Savage species had a strange mock-up of classes designed to create a level adjusted PC over a series of levels, but the expectation for a PC in 4E is that they would not reproduce everything that one sees in a monster stat block.

I suppose that one could crate RCCs for 4E, where someone played a dragon or some other monster and had specific powers available at given levels. One would have to stat up each dragon for a different role. Additionally, given the flavour of existing dragons, they would be fairly limited to a single damage source (fire/cold/lightning/etc.), with perhaps only a few off-source powers.

I think I might like that. Hmmm...

Hmm. I wonder if one could use the Hybrid Class concept to create racial classes? Basically, you still pick your regular class but only get the hybrid features and get additional features and powers from your race.

As an additional requirement, you might give some races a suggested minimum level where they are closest to what one would expect from a member of that race.

(A Mind Flayer needs a few iconic abilities that might just not be appropriate at 1st level...)

Glyfair

Explorer
I have to say the Thri-Keen comments have me thinking we could use the insect man archetype. I wouldn't mind seeing a 4E thri-keen (likely when we get psionics), dromite (psionics again) or Arduin's Phraints (a 4E Arduin book would fit so well).

Dausuul

Legend
Game mechanics, not fluff.

I'm not saying that the animals can't bite. I'm just saying that they can't benefit from weapon-using classes. Which is part of the point of some of those classes, being able to customize what weapon you use (reach vs. high crit vs. access to certain feats, etc).

It would require a whole different subsystem just so the race can function in the various classes. That's too much work for just a race.

Two words: Natural weapons.

tsadkiel

Legend
If classic means derived from Tolkien, we're good.

If classic means a long history of D&D player characters, we're missing centaurs, satyrs, lizard men, some sort of pixie, and yeah, thri-kreen.

If classic means having mythological resonance, we've barely scrathced the surface.

Here is what I can think of in terms of "traditional fantasy" archetypes:

Anthropomorphic Animals: Includes all of the furry races, including lycans/shifters, and the various insect/lizard versions who nevertheless seem to have prominent mammal-type breasts. (I imagine that in an RPG created by bugs, all of the mammal-based fantasy races would have some very sexy pheromones.)

Humans with Rubber Foreheads: Take a human and add pointy ears or glowy eyes. Optionally, pick a human trait (intelligence, violence, magic, whimsy, or arrogance) and crank the dial to eleven. Many fantasy campaigns have turned scary mythological races into these. Useful for budgetary reasons on popular Sci-Fi shows.

The Created: Golems, clones, androids, Cylons (tm), robots, clockwork creatures, etc. Bonus points if you avoid a trite Aesop about human technological hubris.

The Dead: As a player race, usually of the cosmopolitan and controlled type, or less palatably of the teenage angst/abusive relationship metaphor type. Could be vampires, ghosts, intelligent zombies, space skeletons, or some version of "only mostly dead," like Eberron's death fetish religion among the elves.

Personifications of Nature: These are the original, scary versions of elves and dwarves, now portrayed mostly by NPC races like dryads, pixies, nixies, Dixies (known for Southern Pride), sylphs, etc. Elementals count. Things called derros, kobolds, goblins, brownies, etc., in various cultures, represented the relatively uncaring and hostile natural world back when medicine involved leeches and sewage filled the streets of towns.

Half-breeds: Minotaurs, centaurs, harpies, etc., are all basically bash-kits of the gods. Most of them represent monsters, as they did in much classical mythology. These can be taken to ridiculous extremes, and usually are in fantasy games. "You round the corner and encounter a SPARROW-SPANIEL!"

Things Man Was Not Meant to Know: Lovecraft personifies the author focused on things most notable for causing insanity and ick, but he's certainly not alone. Squid-thingies, colors from space, amorphous blobs, and other weirdos populate this realm. Some of them, like the Star Frontiers Dralasites, have been made family-friendly. All of these creepies follow the somewhat limited philosophy of "aliens = gross."

The Hidden: Shapeshifters, They Live! Aliens, Bodysnatchers, Puppet-Masters, and relatively benign creatures like Kalashtar. Originally embodied by myths about changelings and such. These guys are "not what they seem," but not necessarily in a Lovecraftian insanity-causing way.

Group Consciousness: Usually either insect-based, Gaea-theory-based, or technology-based (Resistance is Futile!). The 3.5 Dragon Compendium has a twins-based version that probably was both interesting and awkward in actual play.

Personifications of Morality/Ethics: Angels, devas, demons, devils, tieflings/aasimar, etcetera, etcetera. This is typically a reflection of the switch to dualistic faiths and the fading of gods seen as "big, petty people who throw lightning bolts." In a sense, this is a slightly different take on Personifications of Nature. Mortal races like the drow can count as this, but are typically demon-inspired as a rationale lest one draw unfortunate conclusions based solely on surface physical characteristics.

I'm struggling to come up with anything that doesn't fit into one (or at most two or three) of these tropes. Are there any possible protagonist race types that I've missed?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads