• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Core D&D Books Should I Buy?

Tuerny

First Post
So I've spent a great deal of time playing Arcana Evolved, Exalted, Iron Heroes, and such and am finally coming back into the D&D fold. The question I have is, what Core D&D Books should I buy?

I've been keeping up with the monster books (and monsterish supplements like Lords of Madness, Draconomicon, and the two fiend books) and have also acquired the Tome of Magic and Tome of Battle.

What should I dip into beyond that? I've heard some good things about the Player's Handbook 2. But is there anything else that is exceptional enough for me to get my hands on to?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
If you are heavy into spellcasters, you should get yourself the Spell Compendium and possibly the Magic Item Compendium.

Complete Adventurer is a great resource for all classes.

Tuerny

First Post
Ah, I forgot to mention, I have the Magic Item Compendium. Great Book. Definitely one of the best d20 fantasy purchases you can acquire.

Odhanan

Adventurer
I guess Spell Compendium would be next on the list, then. But PHB2 before! Awesome stuff in there! :)

If you're into the Undead, Libris Mortis is great, too.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Depending upon your tastes, there are good things to be found in each of the "Complete" series books.

I rather enjoy the Expanded Psionics Handbook, but supplement it with Hyperconscious, CompPsi and Dragon #341.

One of my faves of the past year or so is the Dragon Compendium. Lots of very useful feats, new weapons, classes, etc. Many people love the Battledancer as a different take on martial artists.

Tuerny

First Post
Hrm, how about this.

If I am going to only purchase two books in addition to the ones I already mentioned (all the Monster Manuals, all the Monster expansions except Liber Mortis, Book of Nine Swords, Tome of Magic, Magic Item Compendium) which would you suggest are the best and most essential?

MrFilthyIke

First Post
DMG II. I really like that. Spell Compendium as well.

BTW, were do you play in O-Town? :) If you want, e-mail me at mrfilthyike AT gmail DOT com.

Felix

Explorer
/Pedantry

"Core" Books: PHB, DMG, MM

/Pedantry

Pick up the Complete Mage & Complete Adventurer. These two seriously prod buttock.

Remove ads