• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Chad Hooper

First Post
One question that jumps out to my mind: where are the prisons in this future solar system?

Is Earth now an industrial prison complex, mining done by prisoners while they serve their time? Or are there penal colonies in the Belt? Is the manufacturing on the Moon done by prison labor? Society's castoffs and miscreants need to be accounted for in this setting, I feel.

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein is such a great work I thought maybe I'd try to point some imagineering down that kind of path.

What you're cooking up doesn't sound like something I'd want to run myself, but it does sound like something that could be fun to play a PC in. Or to read as a novel.

G

Guest 6801328

One question that jumps out to my mind: where are the prisons in this future solar system?

Is Earth now an industrial prison complex, mining done by prisoners while they serve their time? Or are there penal colonies in the Belt? Is the manufacturing on the Moon done by prison labor? Society's castoffs and miscreants need to be accounted for in this setting, I feel.

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein is such a great work I thought maybe I'd try to point some imagineering down that kind of path.

Maybe instead of paying asteroid miners in cash, they are paid with freedom.

Which introduces an interesting question of where they go and what they do after they've finished their time.

What you're cooking up doesn't sound like something I'd want to run myself, but it does sound like something that could be fun to play a PC in. Or to read as a novel.

Yeah, I'd like to read the book.

I've always wanted a sci-fi version of the Yojimbo / Fistful of Dollars story. Takes place on a mining station where two families are vying for control.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I've always wanted a sci-fi version of the Yojimbo / Fistful of Dollars story. Takes place on a mining station where two families are vying for control.
Or two corporations or two AIs, if you want to get all cyberpunk. The setting you've envisioned certainly seems ideal for it.

I'm just not sure how to take that story into an RPG neatly, because it's always a party of PCs. I've been toying with the idea of running a "Last Adventurer Standing" D&D game for years, but it never quite gelled for that reason.

G

Guest 6801328

Or two corporations or two AIs, if you want to get all cyberpunk. The setting you've envisioned certainly seems ideal for it.

I'm just not sure how to take that story into an RPG neatly, because it's always a party of PCs. I've been toying with the idea of running a "Last Adventurer Standing" D&D game for years, but it never quite gelled for that reason.

Well, the world could use "more" (1?) RPGs that are ideal for 1 DM and 1 Player.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, the world could use "more" (1?) RPGs that are ideal for 1 DM and 1 Player.
I suppose, but it's hard enough generating enough DMs for all the would-be players with conventional groups of 5 or 6...

(I've run for 12+ players, at times.)

And, specifically, I was contemplating running at a convention that doesn't accept single-player games.

There's no reason you couldn't run your scenario single-player though. Even if you're generally playing with a group, if you find yourself with everyone else canceling, for instance...

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
"Space Resources: Breaking the Bonds of Earth" (book) might prove fruitful to your imagination.
An ice asteroid would be a seemingly-inexhaustible source of rocket fuel. Texaco in orbit! (But/and no way to create a monopoly.)

Larry Niven's Known Space stories (pre-hyperdrive) would give you both ideas and plot lines. Especially look for Gil the ARM.

Remove ads