• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Craft Skill for Making Thieves Tools & the Like?

saucercrab

Explorer
I have a PC (rogue-type) that wishes to make her own set of thieves tools (& possibly other types of small tools) using the Craft Skill. None of the specializations listed at the beginning of the skill write-up seem to apply to this; blacksmithing, locksmithing, or trapmaking look like the closest & they still don't fit exactly. Would it be something along the lines of Craft (tool) or something? :\

Lonely Tylenol

First Post
For simplicity's sake, I'd rule that every Craft skill can be used to craft tools appropriate for that skill, including masterwork tools. So for this example, Craft (locksmithing) could be used to make lock picks, which is something every locksmith should be able to use.

darkelfo

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
For simplicity's sake, I'd rule that every Craft skill can be used to craft tools appropriate for that skill, including masterwork tools. So for this example, Craft (locksmithing) could be used to make lock picks, which is something every locksmith should be able to use.

That's one way to do it. You can also do Craft (Tools). I've seen this in a rulebook. It is either in WOTC's Eberron Players Guide or in in the Iron Kingdom's Player's Guide.

Craft (Tool) is pretty neat because it allows you to make all kinds of tools. But I think the above solution would work fine. Also, Craft (blacksmithing) or Craft (metalworking) might also do.

saucercrab

Explorer
Dr. Awkward,
That does make sense, but I'm pretty sure the character just wants to be able to make tools in general. And thieves tools can be used for more than one type of skill. I don't want to make the character need two or more craft skills.

darkelfo,
Craft (tools) makes the best sense right now. IMO, blacksmithing would be for larger, less detail-oriented metal things, like cauldrons & crowbars (yes, I know the latter is a tool), & not for very delicate things, like lockpicks & a gem chisels (or whatever is used to cut gems), which is what I think the PC is looking into. Craft (metalworking), what would that be used for?

Thanks both.

darkelfo

First Post
saucercrab said:
Craft (metalworking), what would that be used for?

Whatever your DM might think is appropriate. My DM allows me to use Craft (Mechanica) for everything from tiny clockwork gears to steam engines and constructs. My toon uses it to repair warforged. I'm sure I could do tools with it too, but would not mind picking up Craft (Tools).

saucercrab

Explorer
darkelfo said:
Whatever your DM might think is appropriate. My DM allows me to use Craft (Mechanica) for everything from tiny clockwork gears to steam engines and constructs. My toon uses it to repair warforged. I'm sure I could do tools with it too, but would not mind picking up Craft (Tools).
Hmm, I guess the way I phrased the start of this thread didn't defnitively indicate that I was the DM & was asking for another player. What ever I think is appropriate? Okay.

BTW, what do you mean by "toon?" That's a term I'm not familar with. At first I thought you were referring to the Toon game.

darkelfo

First Post
saucercrab said:
What ever I think is appropriate? Okay.

Absolutely. Whatever's fair is the way to go. Your campaign's not gonna end either way, but you might ask your player's what they think and work it out with the final call being yours.

saucercrab said:
BTW, what do you mean by "toon?" That's a term I'm not familar with. At first I thought you were referring to the Toon game.

I've played a lot of MMORPGs. I guess players refer to their characters as "Toons" which is short for cartoons. Just borrowing the lingo.

saucercrab

Explorer
darkelfo said:
Absolutely. Whatever's fair is the way to go. Your campaign's not gonna end either way, but you might ask your player's what they think and work it out with the final call being yours.
I would ask them, if they'd even care. And seriously, they wouldn't; not a single roll for a Craft skill has ever been made in our groups history (I think there was one Alchemy roll, but after the player realized how long it would take his character make a flask of alchemist's fire, he quit). Even this guy (that I started this thread about). I swear, now he is thinking of going for Craft (weaponsmith) for his character instead. I told him I wouldn't mind if he wanted to respend those Craft skill points on some other skill. ;)

I've played a lot of MMORPGs. I guess players refer to their characters as "Toons" which is short for cartoons. Just borrowing the lingo.
Oh. I got two friends that treat WoW like it's tar heroin (one of which is the cause of this thread, he's a recovering Evercrack addict) & they've never used that term. Huh, maybe it's not a Jersey thing. :\

Remove ads