• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Creatures "Break" A Fantasy Game World For You?

Tetsubo

First Post
Fifth Element said:
I think the problem is that while gelatinous cubes, beholders and owlbears are pure fantasy constructs, dinosaurs are (were) real-world animals. I can see how it can hinder someone's immersion in the game world.

But so are horses... does that hinder a players immersion? I've used dinosaurs without issue. I've even used "primitive" Dragons (Woolly Dragons even...) from a distant past era... The game just has too many freaky animals and monsters for a dinosaur to stand out in the crowd...

And I like the odd monsters, the cubes, the spheres and the strange crossbreeds. Not only are the crossbreeds historical (from human myths) but they are just darn cool.

As for firearms... in a world of flaming swords, magic wands that spew fireballs and cloaks that let you fly... these also do not "ping" my weirdness radar... make them rare, expensive and possibly unreliable and they won't have a huge impact...

The last time I had firearms in a campaign they required dragon dung as a chemical ingredient and a special crystal as a firing mechanism... Only the rich and the government had them. But they were still cool...

Tetsubo said:
But so are horses... does that hinder a players immersion? I've used dinosaurs without issue. I've even used "primitive" Dragons (Woolly Dragons even...) from a distant past era... The game just has too many freaky animals and monsters for a dinosaur to stand out in the crowd...
Horses wouldn't, because horses have been around throughout human history. Dinosaurs died out millions of years before humans existed. Not the same thing.

barghus said:
Dinosaurs out of context are a game breaker. As well as monks in a quasi-Western European campaign.

Dragonborn and warforged as standard PC races.

Mimics, piercers, Gelatinous Cubes, Vegepygmies, Wolf in Sheep's clothing and other monsters from the nearly randomly populated "Graph Paper Dungeon Age".

Sci-fi mixed with Fantasy. I don't want my peanut butter in my chocolate.

Bad NPC and PC names really drag down as well for some reason.
I agree with approximately 100% of this. Except maybe the dragonborn bit. I dislike Gygaxian 'gotcha' monsters, though I'm not sure I'd include Vegepygmies in that list.

DrunkonDuty

he/him
I'm with the folks who like a tight genre. ALthough I do accept "wild and wooly fantasy" as a genre. My homebrews are always given a specific flavour and I like my players to keep that in mind as they play.

Sorry, many posts here, so: whoever above said about certain monsters having larger "footprints" needing to be telegraphed ahead of time: couldn't agree more. I'd go so far as to extend this principle to tropes.

Phaeryx

First Post
Honestly, I dislike about 90% of D&D monsters. I'm such a fantasy snob, it's just awful. It's a real problem for me. I wish I were more open-minded. I don't have a problem with alot of the monster stats, but in a homebrewed campaign world I would find myself giving most of them a visual "facelift" and eliminating abilities I hate such as at-will teleportation.

It's really the depiction in art that blows alot of the D&D monsters for me, but that's realtively easy to overcome via one's imagination. I feel that the physical descriptions of D&D creatures lean way too heavily on science fiction influences. Their function in game-play is a different matter.

It would be easier for me to list the monsters I do like, as far as the look of them. I like dragons, because they are so universal and iconic. I don't like alot of creatures from actual real-world myths and legends from a variety of different cultures showing up in a hodge-podge setting like D&D. Alot of the separate species in D&D are just different names for the same type of creature stemming from different languages.

Many well-conceived, original fantasy creatures that appear in works of fantasy are only vaguely described in the text, or described in such a way that a visual interpretation would leave alot to an artist's imagination. An example that springs to mind is the "salamander" in Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun, which is really an alien creature that produces deadly heat, and which Wolfe calls a salamander because it is the closest fit for the creature, out of his habit of using historical terms for things which have no real analogue.

The point is, it's a cool monster, and it's really bizarre, but an artist's interpretation for inclusion in a D&D monster book might totally ruin it for me. I don't even like the way dragons are drawn in 3rd edition.

I hate dinosaurs in my medieval fantasy too. I don't see any problem with using the stats and describing them as vaguely reptilian predators, etc., though.

prosfilaes

Adventurer
Masquerade said:
I'm thinking of giant space hamsters

To me, if you can stomach tinker gnomes, then you should be able to hack giant space hamsters, which are merely a gnomish breeding project. Of course, even as a fan of giant space hamsters, the tinker gnome projects went pretty far into the ludicrous; I'm especially remembering a Dragon article as particularly egrecious here.

barghus

First Post
barghus said:
Dinosaurs out of context are a game breaker. As well as monks in a quasi-Western European campaign.

Dragonborn and warforged as standard PC races.

Mimics, piercers, Gelatinous Cubes, Vegepygmies, Wolf in Sheep's clothing and other monsters from the nearly randomly populated "Graph Paper Dungeon Age".

Sci-fi mixed with Fantasy. I don't want my peanut butter in my chocolate.

Bad NPC and PC names really drag down as well for some reason.

How could I forget modrons and those trench coat wearing, flintlock pistol wielding hippos?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Dragon Snack said:
Hey! That was years ago. I've run that adventure for 2 groups and both remember it. Maybe not fondly, but still...

Our mage died twice in that fight.

That was seriously messed up.

But that wasn't a game-breaking thing for us. I mean, wizards do weird things, right? Having a table polymorphed into a spinosaurus didn't break it for me, either, even though there weren't other dinosaurs roaming the land.

The only thing that I'd really have an issue with would be obvious technological mecha. I could probably be okay with a magitech warstrider...it's basically a golem with a person driving it, and we've joked about that many times. Warforged? No prob. A big warforged made by assembling smaller warforged? I'd laugh, and then run like hell when it flattened the fighter. A Mad Cat shooting volleys of LRMs at us? Problem.

I also really don't care for steampunk. I don't get the attraction, really.

Brad

Doug McCrae

Legend
DreadPirateMurphy said:
Seriously, how can ANYTHING be too absurd for D&D?
Thread winner.

Sounds like the guy who left had lots of other issues with the game. The dino-riding druid was either the straw that broke the camel's back or an excuse.

If a player leaves the game over dinos what's going to happen when his PC meets a flail snail or a tirapheg? His head would asplode at the very least.

Remove ads