• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What d20 products do you think are truly the best?

Greg K

Legend
[.

Both Books of Eldritch Might: Again, great alternatives to the current standard. I'd like to see a lot more of this type of thing actually.

I seem to recall three of them (not including the collected version) or am I thinking of Hallowed Might and including it in there? (Edit: Yep, There were three)

Btw, I like the first one for the templates that were in there.

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
Since my humor was lost on those looking to pick a fight with anything 4E, I'll offer a few serious suggestions, some or all of which have already been mentioned:

Wilderlands of High Fantasy
Player's Guide to the Wilderlands
Tome of Artifacts
Book of the Righteous
Arcana Evolved
Scarred Lands - anything, but especially Ghelspad and Termana

Marx420

First Post
Another one for the Book of the Righteous, scored it for five bucks and it's been worth many more times that for clerics in my campaign.

Also gotta hype trailblazer and Monte Cook's book of experimental might, these are what unearthed arcana should have been.

Also love me the Experts and Warriors sourcebooks from skirmisher press for fleshing out my NPCs.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Limiting myself to products, and from the d20 family only...

• Testament
  • From Stone to Steel
  • Mutants & Masterminds (second edition)
  • Mutants & Masterminds (third edition)
  • Conan: The Roleplaying Game (Atlantean Edition)
  • Darwin's World (second edition)
  • A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe, even if it's largely system-free
  • Legends of Sorcery
  • Miracles & Wonders
  • The Psychic's Handbook
  • The Book of Iron Might
  • Torn Asunder: Critical Hits
  • Toxicant
  • Book of Broken Dreams
  • The Noble Wild
  • The Book of Fiends
  • Anger of Angels
  • Pathfinder
  • Toolbox, even if it's largely system-free
  • Ultimate Toolbox, even if it's pretty much entirely system-free

Yeah, I bought a few d20 books and PDFs, back then. :D Well okay, so I've bought a few more recent things too (e.g., M&M third edition and Pathfinder) - but I've certainly slowed down dramatically, in that regard.

And those are just the ones I can think of right now. Scary, really. :eek:

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Also gotta hype trailblazer (. . .)

Trailblazer was a late arrival to the OGL party but a definite must read, IMO. If you like to tinker with rules, and particularly if you like to add in some supplements but not others, Trailblazer does a good job of explaining what is to be expected, what balancing factors need consideration, etc.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Can we start adding Pathfinder stuff to the list yet?

Pathfinder:
Pathfinder Core - because sorcerers are cool now, m'kay? :)
Advanced Player's Guide - archetypes are a handy way of doing alternate classes and races.
Kingmaker - I am digging the exploration and nation building rules of Kingmaker, and the expansion thereon done in Book of the River Nations by Jon Brazer Enterprises . Nice, simple, and in a wilderness area the nation building can begin at fairly low level, 'bout the time they get their first fireball. :)

D&D 3.X:
Skull & Bones is excellent when crossed with Call of Cthulhu.
Corsair (soon being reissued for Pathfinder, I think.)
Advanced Bestiary and
Deluxe Book of Templates - yeah, I like templates, and both have some really good ones.
Heroes of Battle - yeah, it's WotC, but it changed the way I handle mass battles that are not player driven.
Classic Play Book of the Sea/ Seas of Blood - two books, with the former being an expansion upon the latter. I almost always have naval combat in my games, and these fill the role nicely. Open Naval Combat Systems and trade rules. :)

D20 Modern, with a Caveat - I use the stuff with Spycraft 2.0
Elements of Magic: Mythic Earth. Yum! The magic that I use for Steampunk.
Thrilling Tales! - ain't used it, but wanna.

Stand Alone:
Spycraft 2.0 (I have a dire feeling in regards to the upcoming 3.0... mostly because 2.0 hit my sweet spot, rather than thinking 3.0 will be bad - 2.0 is just soooo gooood. :) )
True 20 - a good, solid, generic system building off of the D20 rules.
Fantasy Craft - there are parts of this that I really like, and one chapter that I really don't like. Try it out, lots of folks really like the part that I don't. :p

Chopped Up Into Little Pieces, Then Cannibalized:
Quintessential Fighter - the Open Mass Combat System
Quintessential Wizard - rules for Libraries
Call of Cthulhu - when I mix a little Cthulhu into other D20 games.
Classic Play Book of Strongholds & Dynasties - the Open Mass Combat System II

The Auld Grump

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Has anyone mentioned Monte Cook's Chaositech yet? Lots of good, creepy pseudo bioscience in that book. Great ideas for evil wizards and their minions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads