• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What d20 Purchases to you Regret?

Emiricol

talien said:
I'm skimming through the list, thinking, "Oh please don't be one of my titles, please don't be one of my titles, pleasedon'tbe...ah crap."

And there it is!

Oh well. Live and learn and hope for a good layout designer/editor for the final product.
Well, you know, this thread only accounts for under 100 people so far, and opinions vary wildly on just about everything. The other 5000 people here haven't chimed in, and these are just the ones uber enough to hang out at EN World :) At least you are taking it gracefully, hehe. Kudos.

Crothian

First Post
Pants said:
I'm kinda surprised by how much Scarred Lands stuff is getting kicked around. I always hear how great everyone thinks it is. Learn something new everyday...

It's a known habit of message boards, once one thing is badmouthed people continue to badmouth it.

PJ Mason

First Post
Crothian said:
It's a known habit of message boards, once one thing is badmouthed people continue to badmouth it.

Yeah, OR a lot of people may have strong opinions about something and might like to way in on the issue.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Dragonlords of Melnibone is the purchase I regret most.

Thereis just no utility there. The bits that would make the game different from D&D and more like The Young Kingdoms are useless, the restis just cut and past fluff from the Elric game by Chaosium.

I bought it the first week it came out. I felt robbed.

Sword and Fist pissed me off no end as well, what with how poorly it was put together, how much lame assed backpedaling was trotted out by the halfwit author, I went from "unimpressed" to "enraged" in the course of about 3 weeks.

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Pants said:
I'm kinda surprised by how much Scarred Lands stuff is getting kicked around. I always hear how great everyone thinks it is. Learn something new everyday...

I'm pretty shocked too. I pretty much love all of the Scarred Lands material (well, not the Penumbral Pentagram thing, but otherwise...)

I always thought that Green Ronin and Scarred Lands were pretty much safe bets.

William Ronald

Explorer
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I regret buying:

Hero Builders guide
Offical Character Sheets
Dragonlords of Melnibone
A few of the AEG Mini-Modules

Thats probably all I actually regret buying. There is a lot more stuff I probably shouldn't have bought because I'll never use it, but it does make for fun/interesting reading.

Dragonlords of Melnibone. The writers apparently had glanced at the D20 rules, and very little can be ported from the book to another setting. Also, Moorcock's love of Balance was seeming amplified a bit in the book. Also, I thought the art could have been much better.

At least with Sword and Fist, WotC released errata. I have to admit that I got a chuckle out of some of the PrCs (Master of Chains in particular.) However, the book seemed very unbalanced and not all that inspiring when compared with later releases.

I also agree that Deities and Demigods needed to be character oriented. I did not need the stats for deities, but I would have liked if there could have been more information for players to use. (A few myths would have been welcome as well, as something for players to have their characters discuss. This would have really worked for the Core Rules Pantheon where I have very little feel of who the deities are and their stories.)

Ashy

First Post
Like Son of Thunder and Crothian said above - if ANYBODY hates some of this stuff so much that they want to mail it to me, I'd be MORE than happy to give all of it a good, loving home! :D

Oh yea, and I likes all my books - but then again, I just look at the purdy pictures. :rolleyes:

Shemeska

Adventurer
AEG's 'Undead' - meh. Just.. meh. Never used it.

WotC's 'Deities and Demigods' - Never used it once nor opened it since the first week I had it.

WotC's 'Stronghold Builders Guidebook' - Again, don't know why I spent the money when I never once have used it. Decently written, but I had no business buying it.

WotC's Savage Species - A waste in many ways since they changed so many things on many of those monsters when they went right to 3.5 after publishing this. Poor, poor publishing decision. Also I then won a free autographed copy of the book making the one I paid for rather superfluous. :)

(And honestly I've liked and gotten good use from my copies of RR and RRII...unbalanced sometimes, but not if everything has access to the contents. I'm very selective about what in there gets used.)

Now that I graduated and I don't live in walking distance to my local gaming store I'm not buying random stuff the day it comes out because I happen to have spare money. Much more frugal now, despite making more moolah...

Eosin the Red

First Post
Let's see:

Hero Builder
Oriental Adventures
Swashbuckling Adventures (though I love 7 seas, this book sucked)
Masters of the Wild
Cartographia - this from a dedicated map head.
RttoEE
BoEM
There was also an adventure by an old school name that was just rotten....Dark Druids or something like that.

I still got a little from each of these books but the value to worth is really darn low for me. YMMV.

Course, I learned early and stopped buying stuff from WotC early on (barring 3.5 DMG & PHB). I buy mainly Green Ronin, Event Books, and some Kalamar stuff and Scared Lands adventure stuff. I look at most things that come across the FLGS shelves though and occasionally pick up world books like MIDNIGHT.

Remove ads