• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What did Monte mean?

librarius_arcana

First Post
Dorloran said:
I've been seeing that Monte Cook remarked that he never liked d20, and that he thought it was designed by hacks?

Does anyone know where this comes from?

Do you know to what he might have been referring (break-down at high levels, too many save or die, d20 yields too narrow a range of results, etc.) and what was the context of the remark??

Thanks!

No I think what he means by that, was the guys who had final say in how this system would be are hacks, left to Monte it would have been alot better,

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
librarius_arcana said:
No I think what he means by that, was the guys who had final say in how this system would be are hacks, left to Monte it would have been alot better,

I remember the thread and his post. It was obviously a joke.

librarius_arcana

First Post
Piratecat said:

What, you saying airwalkrr was joking?

Even so, I still think he was serious, even if in a joke its far easier to talk about something that would be seen as controversial when covered by humor,

never heard the term "A truth said in jest"

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
librarius_arcana said:
never heard the term "A truth said in jest"

Heard the term, sure. But whatever else we may think of him, Monte has repeatedly shown himself to be highly professional in behavior, with far too much class to slight his coworkers in public like that. To do so would be out of character for the man.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Based on things Monte has written, I have no doubt that he feels a little too much of the rules balance has shifted from DM to player, and AE has shown that he's seen areas to change or streamline (such as skills and spells.)

But actually, I'm saying that Monte was clearly joking, that you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet, that this is how bad internet rumors get started, that conspiracies aren't actually crouching in the shadows, and that I can't actually believe someone would take that seriously. It's a little embarrassing to have to be explicit about this. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
ZOMG! Monte was dissing d20! He is teh suck! Oh, wait, wrong thread. :)

Given in its original context (I remember the thread) he was joking ad absurdium - kind of like portraying Mother Theresa decked out with stakes and crosses and battling vampires a la Blade.

Remove ads