• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What did you do with your playable Goblin race?

ToddBS

Explorer
Going strictly by the MM description, Goblin Tactics is an at-will power. Is that too powerful for a PC? Should I make it an encounter power for a PC Goblin race?

And the Kobold's Shifty power looks like it would be just a steaming pile of abuse if allowed in its MM form for a PC.

circadianwolf

First Post
There's a discussion of making goblins more PC-palatable here. There's a version that changes the power to an encounter (mine, actually), as well as one that just adds a few traits. In general, Goblin Tactics isn't too powerful of an ability, especially if you use the MM write-up and thus don't include any other traits.

Kobolds, on the other hand, definitely need some editing. Shifty is amazing at will. It seems a bit weak to just make it an encounter, though. Maybe
Shifty Kobold Racial Power
Encounter
Move Action o Personal
Effect:
Shift up to your speed.
I've also seen this suggestion, which keeps the essence of the power but makes it far less abusable:
Shifty Kobold Racial Power
At-Will
Move Action o Personal
Effect:
Shift 2 squares.
I'd throw them a few bones besides the trap defense trait, too.

Last edited:

ToddBS

Explorer
Thanks for the link. After reading it, I realized I had read it a few days ago. Somehow my mind is growing feebler by the day.

I like your treatment of Goblins and may adopt something similar in the campaign world I'm working on. The Kobold action is a good compromise as well.

ourchair

First Post
I think it's fine as an at-will. Kobolds are shifty buggers, and the power doesn't eliminate the threat posed by controller-type abilities and ranged attacks.

eriktheguy

First Post
I haven't altered the powers for kobolds or goblins. Neither races have posed balance issues in my campaign. Their powers are utility types rather than the sort a power gamer could take advantage of anyways.

ToddBS

Explorer
I can see an at-will minor action that allows a shift being abused. Especially combined with powers that allow a shift before or after your attack. It presents a very tempting skirmisher class though - move in, hit with some power that grants a shift, then shift again... very little would ever touch you.

I definitely like the ideas on Goblins presented in the other thread referenced. I will likely be implementing those. The jury is still out for me on Kobolds being PC races in my campaign. Goblins and Kobolds have a similar flavor to them and I'm not sure I need both.

edit: changed "charge in" to "move in" for clarity's sake.

Last edited:

Turtlejay

First Post
Kobolds over Goblins.

IMC my DM altered Shifty to a 1/encounter ability that I use, and that ability lasts until the end of my next turn. So basically, it is 1/enounter, but it lasts for two rounds. Even without that nerf, being an Assassin means shifting<teleporting, but if someone wanted to bring in say, a Kobold Rogue, Shifty would surely need nerfing.

Jay

weem

First Post
I played a Goblin (Rogue) from level 1-6 at which point he switched to Assassin (we did some solo game stuff to make the change in the story) and I played him 6-7 as such... then I died.

The @will shifting on a miss was fine in my eyes (and I DM most of the time). I don't think it's too powerful at all. When I had the opportunity to shift, often times I didn't as I didn't want to change the position I was already in... so it came up, but not often.

Maybe that's because I was a rogue, and on my turns I was getting myself right where I wanted to be... so maybe it's different for another class (one who would want to be continually getting out of melee range) - but I don't know.

Remove ads