• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Do Gamers Eat?

What Foods Do You Eat While Gaming

sjmiller

Explorer
I guess I should mention what we eat. We have a large group, 10 in all, so we tend to make big meals. We have things like: barbecue beef brisket with garlic mashed potatoes and fresh green beans; roasted turkey with potatoes, turnips, corn, biscuits, and gravy; roast beef with rice (or boiled potatoes) and a vegetable; homemade chilli and cornbread; homemade chicken and wild rice soup with fresh baked bread; and the list goes on. For desserts, we have had things like carrot cake in the shape of a castle, apple pie, pumpkin pie, rhubarb torte with fresh cream, crapes with fresh strawberries, platters of Christmas cookies, and even homemade cream puffs.

We play from October through early June (summers are busy for all of us), so the last game is usually a big blowout meal. Last time a friend offered to cook for us and let us all play. We had a lamb roast with braised lamb chops, asparagus with hollandaise sauce, fingerling potatoes with a garlic butter sauce, brochette (as an appetizer), and chocolate creame brule for dessert. Topped with wine appropriate for dinner and one for dessert, and a bit of either port or cognac to go with dessert.

We eat well at our games. :D

I know they're covered under "chips", but I think Doritos deserve a category unto themselves. That's the one constant at my table: there's always Doritos.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
For once, Lemon Curry would actually work as an answer.

Our sessions typically run on Sunday afternoons. They go something like this:

Game starts and slightly before: usually my wife bakes something - coffee cake, muffins, or the like. #1 way to get people to show up on time has been a policy that everyone who is there on time gets baked goods, but anyone late gets to sit and watch others eat.

There's usually soda and munchies during the session. We've been leaning towards healthier stuff - baked chips and salsas rather than fried chips and sour cream dips, for example.

If the players have the evening free, there's typically take-out ordering of some kind for dinner. There are some nice sub-and-pizza shops nearby.

for certain special occasions, we've done more elaborate food. For one Deadlands game, we researched and prepared food common to the American frontier period, for example.

Do not ask what we do when we are playing Paranoia. The recipe for Bouncy Bubble Beverage is above your security clearance, Friend Citizen, and you really don't want to know what goes into Hot Fun or Cheeze Pleezer.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
My players eat most of the above that they gather from fast-food restaurants and/or the grocery store on their way over.

I eat whatever my wife is making for dinner that night plus whatever sweets I can scavenge from the others.

We tried having everyone chip in for dinner, but both the cooking and collecting of money became too much of a burden for my wife.

We also had a very interesting "dinner party" with food that emulated the in-game dinner party during our Age of Worms campaign.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Stir-fry or curry, most often. As these are among the most awesome of foods, this is not considered a bad thing. :)

Biases aside though, homemade (i.e., 'real') food ftw. Most definitely.

Dykstrav

Adventurer
Whenever I host, I typically lay a decent spread for my gamers. Here's the menu from the last game I hosted.

Hors d'ouevres
• Caviar with dill cream cheese.
• Coconut-battered shrimp with mango salsa.
• Brie, havarti, and camembert cheese.
• Ferro Rocher and Hershey's Bliss bonbons.
• Wheat, vegetable, pepper and poppy, and water crackers.
• Naoussa (a vintage 2003 produced in Macedonia, made from Xinomavro grapes harvested at an altitude of at least 1,000 feet).
• Proshyan (an Armenian wine produced exclusively from pomegranates).

Entrees
• Buffalo chicken (boneless, skinless chicken breastmarinated and grilled, served with sour cream and guacamole).
• Steak (seasoned strip steak grilled and topped with sauteed mushrooms and compounded butter containing feta cheese, fresh mint and basil).
• Scalloped potatoes in cheddar sauce.
• Baked potatoes.
• Golden bell peppers, mushrooms, and red onions lightly tossed in oil and vinegar and grilled.
• Freshly-baked wheat rolls served with honey butter.
• Hoegaarden, martinis (real martinis made with gin, not vodka), manhattans.

Dessert
• Cheesecake made with fresh eggs and honey--no processed sugar. Topped with Godiva chocolate sauce and fresh fruit.
• Freshly ground Arabica coffee.

Last edited:

Festivus

First Post
Brown Paper Bag Popcorn
===================
1/4 cup popcorn kernels
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Popcorn Salt (optional)
1/8 tsp Jalapeno or Cayenne Pepper Powder (optional and go easy on it if you go Cayenne)

Combine all ingredients in a brown paper lunch sack, shake well. Fold top over twice and tape closed. Put in microwave and hit the Popcorn button. Watch it closely so it doesn't burn. Best damn popcorn you will ever taste.

Besides that... it's pretty much leftover candy my kids bring home from parties or pretzels. Occasionally pizza is made or ordred (if I have time and want to make Pizza for the kids I make extra for the game group)

Stormborn

Explorer
Generally we have found that eating while gaming is too distracting - one winds up enjoying neither the food nor the game as much as if you had seperated the two activities. Thus we usually play for 4-5 hours then all go to dinner. If we do eat when gaming its simple "snack food" such as chips, dips, pretzels, maybe a brownies or other small cake, veggies and that sort of thing. Cheese is also a favorite.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads