• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Do Gamers Eat?

What Foods Do You Eat While Gaming

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Last time a friend offered to cook for us and let us all play. We had a lamb roast with braised lamb chops, asparagus with hollandaise sauce, fingerling potatoes with a garlic butter sauce, brochette (as an appetizer), and chocolate creame brule for dessert. Topped with wine appropriate for dinner and one for dessert, and a bit of either port or cognac to go with dessert.

We eat well at our games. :D

Hey, you lambast other gamers on their choice of cooking wine and proudly present a menu from October with asparagus?! :p

Asparagus may only be used used from May to June, and it has to be grown on the sandy soil in Westphalia. Everything else is junk food...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

The poll is missing some inevitable source for calories: chocolate. From plain milk chocolate to chocolate with peppers to elaborate chocolate candies, there is no gaming session without it.

SKyOdin

First Post
Back in my old college gaming club, one guy would buy a whole lot of Pizza and sell it to the other guys in the club at the same price he bought it. So I ended up eating a lot of cheap pizza while I gamed. I supplemented my pizza with soda, bottled lemonade, candy bars, and chips purchased from nearby vending machines.

Voadam

Legend
Depends on the setting.

In college the campaign I ran in our apartment we'd always get pizzas and make vats of kool aid. In the campaign I played in at the student union I'd get a meal from the food court.

Now my face to face games are at people's homes on "gamer weekends" and we generally cook out or do full meals, steak, chicken, pasta, etc. with the occasional trip out for a brunch at a diner, though bacon and pancakes at the house are not uncommon. We have done chinese take out in the past as well I recall.

Mostly the gaming stops for food but some people in the group drink soda. I usually go with water or juice. Sometimes we had a set of brownies as snacking food that were consumed while gaming was ongoing.

sjmiller

Explorer
Hey, you lambast other gamers on their choice of cooking wine and proudly present a menu from October with asparagus?! :p

Asparagus may only be used used from May to June, and it has to be grown on the sandy soil in Westphalia. Everything else is junk food...

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Actually, that menu was from June, when we last played. We won't be playing again until late October of this year. I have to ask our chef of that meal where the asparagus came from, since I honestly don't know. I was not shopping with him that day. :D

justanobody

Banned
Banned
Other (no recipe but tell you about it):

It involves a pork product, habanero peppers, shine, and mustard. (plus a few more things to taste)

You eat it, not drink it. If you can decipher a recipe to make, or even figure out what it is, your prize is the food itself. ;)

Traditional things for the group where I'm a player:
-- Lil Debbie peanut butter bars. Yummy
-- "Scooby snacks". This is actually a healthful food cereal, like mini-wheats but without frosting. They give us good luck.

Traditional when I'm DMing:
Iron Rations!
-- Carr's Water Crackers
-- Oberto Beef Jerky
-- Dried fruit, usually apricots

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
When I last ran a game, we ordered pizza as soon as (or, via phone, before) everyone arrived, and got the pre-game chatter mostly over and done with while we waited for it to arrive. Once the pizza was eaten, we'd settle down to play.

For the GURPS game in which I'm currently playing, we generally don't eat together. I tend to eat a quick meal as soon as I get home before heading over to the game; the GM and some of the players tend to bring take-away food to eat at the game; the two players at whose apartment we play tend to cook and eat their own food before or at the beginning of the session.

Remove ads