• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do Giants eat?

Warren Okuma

First Post
Their primary food is residual magic. It's the magical field that supports all non-logical creatures. And their diet is supplemented by common mundane food.

Sejs

First Post
Sheep. Dire Sheep. Really big crops. Big eggs from bigger birds. Herd animals that are normally far too large or ornery to herd by humans. People.

I've had frost giants herding mammoths at one point.

Mycanid

First Post
Piratecat said:
Mutton. And burrahobbits.

Now just a minute ... wasn't this Tolkien's TROLLS that did this?

AND, if you remember in the conversation Bilbo overheard before he tried to "slip the purse out of William's pocket" one of the trolls was complaining: "Never a blinkin bit o man flesh have we 'ad fer long enuf!" or some such.

So the Tolkien trolls eat people too. And lots. "Ye ate a village and a half between ye since we come down from the mountain."

Don't forget the dwarfs either.... ;)

reason

First Post

Giants should eat sea-serpents and other great monsters of spectaular size hauled from the deep. And anything else they can convince into their mouths along the way for a little variety, but you can't make a life dining on things so small you'd not even notice them flattened underfoot. It only makes sense:

The first thaw brought me to the Green Isle's flowered hills, ruins and strange standing stones. Witches paint their skin red to dance naked in the deepest wooded valleys, and clawed demons dwell within the greatest rune-marked stones - but I sought the giants of the Lantac cliffs and shores.

It is the rare giant who hollows his own circle-boat of rock; it is a great labor, even for one whose arms are temple pillars and legs mighty trees. Instead, they choose from boats of the past that litter the shores like giant nutshells beneath the agui trees of Dramarak. In twilight, I watched giants gather before caves upon the rocky shore, there to light a blaze to roast serpents and greater sea-beasts; I listened to rumbling voices and tales of regard for women - and their flesh.

Many a time did I watch these giants until I settled upon the one called Treshal, who had made his own stone circle-boat of pride rather than seeking upon the shore, and who talked the longest and most longingly of women. When other giants were far, within their own caves, or out upon the Lantac to wrest serpents from the waters, I descended the cliffside to meet with Treshal.

Reason
Principia Infecta

Nifft

Penguin Herder
IMC, they mostly eat buffalo, since they live near the world's equivalent of the Great Plains.

When buffalo are scares, they find other meat... :]

Fee Fie Foe Fum, -- N

Remove ads