• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do I need to know in a FR game?

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
StupidSmurf said:
Thanks! :) :::bows:::

I'm a big fan of cameo appearances. The key word, of course, being cameo. I see far too many misguided DMs utilize the named Realms NPCs as walking plot devices to beat players over the head with.

StupidSmurf

First Post
jdrakeh said:
I'm a big fan of cameo appearances. The key word, of course, being cameo. I see far too many misguided DMs utilize the named Realms NPCs as walking plot devices to beat players over the head with.

Tell me about it. Right now, my group is in the Silver Marches. Which means they stand a medium to excellent chance of possibly encountering:

Lady Alustriel of Silverymoon
Khelbun Blackstaff
Wulfgar
Drizzt?
King Bruenor Battlehammer

And guess how many of the above they'll end up running into? That's right...NONE of 'em. They way I see it, those NPCs have had their chance to adventure and become mega-powerful. Now it's someone else's (namely, my group) turn.

Although I DO have some horrible things in store for them as they go up into the Nether Mountains. Some real "Damn you, S.O.B. Dungeon Master!" stuff that's entirely above board and within the realm of possibility, given the FR parameters! ;)

And yes, cameos rock! :D It gives the fanboy side of my players a chance to go "Oooo! I actually met Azoun IV! Rock on!" :)

Twinswords

First Post
If you meet Drizzt attack him, kill him, piss on his corpse, use capture the soul, disintergrate the corpse, scatter the dust to all the planes, and sell the soul to Lloth personally. After that ask the dm if you can do it agian.

If Drizz`t kills you, keep attacking with all your characters until dm ceases to put him in. No talking just stabbing.

Sorry, i needed to get this out of me. Good Drow HA!

genshou

First Post
jdrakeh said:
This is an excellent example of how to use named NPCs of the Realms in a campaign. Hats off to you!
I agree; that's wonderful. That's the only plan I have for ever having Elmunchkin show up in my FR Story Hour game.

By the way, you like the banner? A friend made it for me.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 54

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
genshou said:
By the way, you like the banner? A friend made it for me.

Solid comedy gold :D

Where FR is concerned, I've recently been picking up a lot of older supplements in addition to the 1e box set with an eye towads running a campaign, but I'm trying to hedge away from those supplements that encompass post-ToT cosmology and/or material from the various novels past the initial Moonshae series. FR went pretty sour for me between the focus shifting to those two things in 2e. Right now, I'm thinking about running a campaign based around the Ruins of Myth Drannor box set that I just picked up.

genshou

First Post
jdrakeh said:
Solid comedy gold :D

Where FR is concerned, I've recently been picking up a lot of older supplements in addition to the 1e box set with an eye towads running a campaign, but I'm trying to hedge away from those supplements that encompass post-ToT cosmology and/or material from the various novels past the initial Moonshae series. FR went pretty sour for me between the focus shifting to those two things in 2e. Right now, I'm thinking about running a campaign based around the Ruins of Myth Drannor box set that I just picked up.
Yeah, I remember reading in another thread about you picking up the 1e box set. I would love to play in the 'Old Realms', but unfortunately I don't know any older gamers offline anymore. That, and all the gamers I do know are Elmunchkin of Stupiddale and Drizzt Overdone fanbois.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

One of the best things about the 3.x realms is the abilty to customise your character by picking a region which gives you access to regional feats and helps prompt ideas for an interesting background for each character. Once you've picked a region you like, read up on it in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and you're good to go.

Cheers

Richard

Arrgh! Mark!

First Post
When I first played D+D the GM of the day had read a bunch of forgotten realms novels.

Things were high powered and twinky to my remembrance, even for 5th level.

The first campaign I GM'd, Elminster, Khelben, and some other named characters I forget about rocked up and saved a city the PC's were in after PC's have some minor combat on the city walls (Invasion of the shadows forces.)

Years later, I don't run forgotten realms. We all had a kick of "Forgotten realms? Bleagh!" for awhile. Now we recognise it as a setting that simply can be hard to truly do justice to. It has high-fantasy potential, high-level potential - not a lot of campaign settings have high level potential.

To be honest, I think FR could be a very decent setting. It could be done well; simply by it's nature there's heaps of different groups intriguing against one another.

Suggestion to a player? Sit back and have fun. THe setting may be ruined or saved by the GM - the GM will make it good or bad.

Thanee

First Post
domino said:
Are the vast majority of the bad guys undead, or is that another setting?

That's Ravenloft. :)

Forgotten Realms is a fairly typical and fairly high-magic fantasy world.

As long as the DM does leave the realms VIPs where they belong (in the background), everything is just fine. :)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads