• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Do Treants, Gelatinous Cubes, Mimics, and Displacer Beasts Have In Common?

The latest D&D miniatures set, Monster Menagerie, is now here. From WizKids, check out some of these repainted plastic figures below. "In Monster Menagerie you will find a vast array of challenges for your heroes to overcome and allies to fight by your side. Face Bulettes as they use their powerful claws to tunnel through the earth when they hunt. Or the Gelatinous Cube as it scours dungeon passages in silent, predictable patterns, leaving perfectly clean paths in its wake. Or the Displacer Beast which takes its name from its ability to mask itself with illusion, displacing light so that it appears to be somewhere it is not."

The latest D&D miniatures set, Monster Menagerie, is now here. From WizKids, check out some of these repainted plastic figures below. "In Monster Menagerie you will find a vast array of challenges for your heroes to overcome and allies to fight by your side. Face Bulettes as they use their powerful claws to tunnel through the earth when they hunt. Or the Gelatinous Cube as it scours dungeon passages in silent, predictable patterns, leaving perfectly clean paths in its wake. Or the Displacer Beast which takes its name from its ability to mask itself with illusion, displacing light so that it appears to be somewhere it is not."

(Apparently any article headline in the form of a question can be answered "no"; so I decided to rise to the challenge.)

Find it at WizKids here.

CfXuEuuWwAA0L6L.jpg
CfXuEySWEAAdU5l.jpg
CfXuE_JXEAA4Noj.jpg
CfXuFAcWwAA9Epz.jpg
CeQJU1bWEAAL2sS.jpg
CeQJU2SWAAAKIF_.jpg
CdtJVvCWwAEnEpz.jpg
CdI2SXbWIAAuKMj.jpg
CdI2SYCW0AAdcty.jpg
CcjoUYGUAAAsR9m.jpg
CcjnusgUsAAtgqQ.jpg
CcGCqwbWIAAX_Gg.jpg
CcGCqvRWAAAqkQq.jpg

RedSiegfried

First Post
Yes, they come PREpainted. Though I haven't been very impressed with the paint quality of any of the previous sets yet. They don't rise to the quality of the old D&D miniatures (which varied) or that of the Pathfinder line, IMO. Not sure if these photos are CG renders or actual painted figurines, but they look okay.

Now, if they can just use white ink on the labels instead of them being just raised print, black on black, and extremely tiny, making them very difficult to read, I'd be happy.

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
The text indicates all the minis in the pictures are REpainted... indicating they were touched up for the photos. Or is that a typo and was supposed to say prepainted?

RedSiegfried

First Post
The text indicates all the minis in the pictures are REpainted... indicating they were touched up for the photos. Or is that a typo and was supposed to say prepainted?
I'm going to guess that was a typo but if I'm wrong that's the first time I can recall seeing any publicity for a miniature release that states they were actually repainted/touched up. Usually these days everyone just publishes CG renders of the minis so what you actually see are "virtual" minis, which look amazingly better than the real thing.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
A high part of the cost of a line of miniatures is designing and creating the set of molds to cast them. Miniatures are sometimes called "repainted" when they are cast in old molds (to save the design and development costs of the molds) but are painted with new, different paint schemes in order to distinguish them from the prior miniatures that had been cast and sold from those same molds originally. (Or so I understand. . . .)

Remove ads

Remove ads