• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What DO you DO for... Rogues?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
StreamOfTheSky said:
The reason for this is, by ~20th level, everyone can pretty much be walking around in fort. armor, making sneak attack worthless. (I bet WotC already addressed this somewhere and I just haven't noticed it)

Targeted dispel magic will take out most armor for 1d4 rounds, at the very least. Mage's disjunction at the very most, of course! ;)

-- N

PS: A Rogue is one of the few people who could actually enjoy being in the middle of an anti-magic field, and who can make it happen reliably.

Storyteller01

First Post
It's not a rogue change, but it's rogue-ish: I converted an OA skill so damage approxiamte to an SA can be done beyond 30 ft. The two don't stack, but it makes the crossbowman/sniper concept much more viable.

XCorvis

First Post
The players of rogues waste too much time dealing with traps, so I've improved them in that area.

Search: Anyone can search for a trap of any DC.
Trap Sense: Replace the reflex bonus with a bonus to all saves made against traps.
Trapfinding: Rogues replace Trapfinding as follows: A rogue's senses are so finely tuned to detect traps that they can sometimes sense them just before they set them off. A rogue about to trigger a trap gets a Search check at a -10 penalty (as a free action) to detect the trap. If the trap is detected, the rogue stops short of triggering it and can procede normally. If the check fails, the rogue blunders into it and the trap triggers normally. The rogue cannot detect traps that others are about to trigger.
Trap Mastery: As an additional Special Ability, rogues may take Trap Mastery: As Trapfinding, except within a 20' radius, you can detect traps that are about to be triggered by others. You must have line of sight to the trap and the person about to trigger it. If your check (still at -10) is successful, you can warn the victim and stop them before the trap is triggered. If the check fails, you don't notice the trap in time and it is triggered normally. If multiple targets trigger a trap simultaneously, you only get one roll to detect the trap - if successful, you can stop all of the victims in time. Even if you do fail to detect the trap in time, you can still give advice to the victim and lessen the effectiveness of the trap. You may apply 1/2 your Trap Sense bonus to one target within 20'.

Of course, I haven't playtested these rules yet. ;)

Last edited:

The Levitator

First Post
The only thing in our house rules that give particular benefit to the rogue is that we use the facing variant in UA, which gives a rear attack +4 instead of +2 (that's now the flanking bonus), and you don't need someone on the opposite side of a creature to gain a rear attack or flanking attack. The backstab is back! :)

Other than that, we play rogues as is.

Aus_Snow

First Post
The Levitator said:
we use the facing variant in UA
So do we - but as I had implied, that would be under the 'General House Rules' umbrella, as far as I was concerned.

Regardless, it can also be found online, for those who don't own Unearthed Arcana but are interested in checking it out.

EvilGM

Explorer
I give every class extra abilities, so this may seem overpowered in relation to normal base classes.

I give Rogues the following extra abilities:

1st lvl - Bonus feat (a +2/+2 skill feat), Weapon Finesse
2nd lvl - Danger Sense (+4 insight bonus on Spot checks made to spot creatures at the beginning of an encounter)
3rd lvl - Insightful Strike (apply Int bonus to weapon damage with a finessable weapon; in light armor/load)
4th lvl - Lucky (reroll any one die roll once per day)
7th lvl - Improved Danger Sense (roll 2 dice for initiative, taking the best result)
[10th lvl] - Special Ability, add 'Lucky' to the list - each time taken adds one additional use/day
12th lvl - Fast Sneak (move normal speed w/o penalty while Hide/MS)
14th lvl - Blindsight 30'
18th lvl - Always Sneaky (rogue is always taking 10 on Hide/MS)

zypherillius

First Post
for rogues, i usually...

for my rogues i usually try to mix a few levels of arcane spellcaster and get a rapier of spell storing then really eat lunch, so you can roll into arcane trickster and keep getting sneak attack and levels of magic using with almost every skill on the sheet.

on the more serious notes, i usually do my rogue up right with lots of ranks in tumble, disable device, search, open lock, and escape artist. :)

XCorvis

First Post
zypherillius said:
for my rogues i usually try to mix a few levels of arcane spellcaster and get a rapier of spell storing then really eat lunch, so you can roll into arcane trickster and keep getting sneak attack and levels of magic using with almost every skill on the sheet.

on the more serious notes, i usually do my rogue up right with lots of ranks in tumble, disable device, search, open lock, and escape artist. :)

I think you're missing the point of the thread. Or I'm missing your sarcasm. Either way. ;)

Destil

Explorer
Rogues are the best designed class in 3.0 and 3.5 IMHO. The only thing I've changed is adding more special abilities:

Lightning strike (ex): Whenever an opponent you threaten is denied their Dexterity bonus against you, you may make an immediate attack of opportunity against them. You may only use this once per round. (Note that this extra attack of opportunity is not a sneak attack when you feint an opponent, since the feint bonus only applies to a single attack. In such a situation you feint, make an attack (no Dex) and then take your free attack (Dex bonus applies)).

Skilled slight of hand (ex): You may pick pocket any object you can hold in one hand easily (your size or smaller), with no penalty due to the size of the object. You could draw a fighters sword before he could, in some cases, and usually without him noticing...

Faceless (ex): In an environment with ten or more people about you can hide in plain sight by simply blending into the crowd, even if being watched. People have a hard time remembering your face, so any disguise penalties you may incur through someone’s familiarity with you (such as having wanted posters plastered across the city, or having run in with a certain town guard before) are negated.

Lightning feint (ex): You may make a feint as a free action once per round.

Ambush (ex): During a surprise round you may make a single extra attack as a free action.

Thorn in their side (ex): If others are flanking a target you gain the benefits of flanking against that target, even when you are not yourself flanking. This only applies to melee attacks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads