• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What do you do?

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Not necessarily. By which I mean an oath could theoretically exist which carries tenants that do run counter to retreating with your party, but none of the oath tenets that I've seen thus far do so.

The closest it gets is the Oath of Devotion tenant of courage, which says "Never fear to act, though caution is wise." That is more support for a wise retreat than it is for foolhardy self-sacrifice, though.
What happened to "Defense of any charge unto death", "Battle is the source of all personal glory", and "Death before dishonour, death before defeat"? That's from the old code of chivalry - it had a bunch of other stuff too - and would seem to apply here. Or are Paladins not considered chivalrous any more? :)

Lan-"I'm really surprised they don't have at least an Oath of Chivalry to cover this sort of thing"-efan

mflayermonk

First Post
I would have retreated and seen if there was some clue or thing the group had missed earlier-some clue or item that helps solve the encounter.

I don't know how much time the DM gave the group to discuss strategy in the middle of a combat. If you had no time to discuss, retreat becomes the clear first option.

A complication of this game is that it is AL, and there is a possibility that someone at the table already DMed/played this mod and that might have been part of the decisions to retreat or stay and fight.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads