• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you get out of signatures?

invokethehojo

First Post
I just read a rather intelligent post... following by an amazingly unintelligent signature. I see this a lot, people that are obviously very smart and well spoken, yet they choose to tac a sentence or two at the end of every post that try's to disprove thier intelligence.

I'm not trying to make anyone mad (moderators this isn't meant as an insult to anyone), I just don't get it at all and I'm hoping someone can provide me with some clarity. In the real world it's a universal truth that, while amusing, bumper stickers are the cultural equivalent of walking around with food stains on your shirt. So why is it, that in this community of people who decide to spend some portion of their spare time playing intellectual games, so many people have these virtual bumper stickers? (promotional signatures promoting a product or website don't fit into this category)

So I ask the community; what pleasure does anyone derive from having all their intelligent statements end with ridiculous comments (usually taken out of context so that most likely any reader won't even understand)?

I really just don't get it

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
In the real world it's a universal truth that, while amusing, bumper stickers are the cultural equivalent of walking around with food stains on your shirt.
Is that so? I've never heard that before.

So I ask the community; what pleasure does anyone derive from having all their intelligent statements end with ridiculous comments (usually taken out of context so that most likely any reader won't even understand)?
I really don't have a clear idea of what kind of sigs you're talking about, so I'll just tell you why I have mine: because it's a bit of poetry that means something to me, and I like to think it means something to some other people too.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I barely even notice sigs unless they're really obnoxious. But I have to wonder why the OP wants to invoke Howard Johnson's chain of restaurants and hotels with his userID.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
In the real world it's a universal truth that, while amusing, bumper stickers are the cultural equivalent of walking around with food stains on your shirt.

I've never seen or heard anyone express that view. It seems to be lacking a bit in terms of universality of its truthiness!

Personally, I like .sigs that make me smile. I like humour, and I prefer funny sigs to workmanlike ones.

Cheers

Asmor

First Post
I see this a lot, people that are obviously very smart and well spoken, yet they choose to tac a sentence or two at the end of every post that try's to disprove thier intelligence.

Protip: When making disparaging comments about how others' online presence makes them appear less intelligent, try to use proper spelling and grammar.

Lord Xtheth

First Post
My signature is there because it helps me remind myself that I should be working on somthing to publish instead of posting on this board.

It doesn't work too often...

If I ever get famous, people may remember the times when I was just a struggling writer trying to get in on the RPG buisness based on my quotes alone.

In essence, its for nothing. I just like it there.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Protip: When making disparaging comments about how others' online presence makes them appear less intelligent, try to use proper spelling and grammar.
It's inevitable; the universe ensures that you're going to make a typo if you're complaining about grammar or someone's intelligence.

Remove ads