• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you guys think Tony Stark's (Iron Man) Intelligence Score would be?

TrueSpade

First Post
Tony Stark, AKA Iron Man invented a suit that could take on Hulk and Thor. It also had life support systems and energy and a whole bunch of other gadgets and nick nacks.

So, mostly out of curiosity, what do you think his Intelligence Score would be? (For 3.5)

Since 18 is considered a genius and stuff.

2457925-bleedingedge2.jpg

Crothian

First Post
18-22 or even higher depending on what comic we are going from. Sometimes he is shown as just a genius and other times he shown to be basically the smartest person to ever live.

GameDoc

Explorer
Often times, Reed Richards is considered smarter, so you might anchor Tony's intelligence with the idea that there is at least one superhero who has a higher score than he does.

Drowbane

First Post
Before level upgrades, "items", etc... and assuming none of them have templates.
Reed Richards (and possibly Dr Strange): 18.
Tony Stark: 17-18
Peter Parker: 15 - 16

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Tony Stark, Reed Richards, and Victor Von Doom would all be at the top limits of human intelligence in any given RPG (if there are any).

At some point or another in Marvel's history, each has remarked- publically or privately- about their respect for each others' intellect, usually with some kind of caveat along the lines of "one of the few minds on Earth that rivals my own."

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Before level upgrades, "items", etc... and assuming none of them have templates.
Reed Richards (and possibly Dr Strange): 18.
Tony Stark: 17-18
Peter Parker: 15 - 16

I have to believe all three of them started at 18, or higher in editions that allow a bonus in an ability of their choice for humans.

Using only straight 3d6 to generate a random person, (with rounding and possible typos) gives:
18 = 99.5% below them, with 0.5% equal and 0% above
17 = 98.2% below them, with 1.4% equal and 0.5% above
16 = 95.4% below them, with 2.8% equal and 1.8% above
15 = 90.7% below them, with 4.6% equal and 4.6% above

So, before leveling, 13,000 people born in the US in each year around 1940 would have had an 18 base. Reed and Stark were already among the top of their respective years before they did most of their leveling.

About 19,000 each year in the mid-1950s would have had an 18 before leveling. For Parker to have a 15, it would mean that not only would he not be winning any national or regional IQ challenges for high school students, but that there would be a decent sized group of people in his own high school's senior class as smart or smarter than he was.

Last edited:

I'm inclined to believe Stark started with an 18 in Int. His various gadgets would probably increase that, or else we can think of Jarvis as being able to use Aid Another on Stark at any time.

His Wisdom score though? lol

TrueSpade

First Post
I figure his Wisdom score should be high, but lower than his intelligence since he upgrades his armors through "trial and error" or "new threat" (example: Hulk Buster, Gravity Armor, Thorbuster)

I like to think Tony's Int is about 21+ and his Wis is only 16+. Since Wisdom is the "Why?" on his upgrades.

A 30 is kinda far out lol

Remove ads