• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you like most in a story hour?

What do you like most in a story hour?

• Interesting characters/characterizations?

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • Description of the game world.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Good writing/Narrative style.

Votes: 43 58.9%
  • See how a module/adventure played out.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Combat/fight scenes.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Other (Describe in post)

Votes: 5 6.8%

Scarab

First Post
I was going to vote for the combat option because I love Wulf Ratbane's style, but then I realized it was actually Wulf himself I liked (no, not like that, you perverts!). He sure has a good writing style combined with attitude...

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
CRGreathouse said:
It's all about characters, both PCs and NPCs. Good writing is neccisary but insufficient.

So it's like for a good gaming adventure, the memorable PCs are NPCs are most important than convoluted plots...

Well, I think I agree.

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Not grit. :)

I like heroic stories featuring heroes. If someone starts the story hour out: "these PCs aren't good", I back out and look again.

Other than that, KidCharlemagne's list works for me. I enjoy myself more when my internal English teacher doesn't have to correct grammar as I read.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Dinkeldog said:
Not grit. :)

I like heroic stories featuring heroes. If someone starts the story hour out: "these PCs aren't good", I back out and look again.

Or you convince yourself that they bad guys are really good...

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
It's a good thing that I can.

Real life is full of grit. I don't play games in my off time to provide even more to it. I play games that have heroes that can solve the problems that can't be solved in real life.

I read stories about games that I would like to play in.

Dr Midnight

Explorer
I'm with Dinkeldog. I don't like grit, I'm not a big fan of antiheroes. I like your classic epic adventure; grand heroic fantasy, sweeping vistas, poetic justice, good vs. evil, etc.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Why can't you have both?

In my game the PCs are in a gritty world, with harsh realities, pain and anaguish and constantly dealing with the trouble of trying to do the good thing.

But they are still clearly good and clearly heroic - it is just that being heroic isn't all its cracked up to be sometimes - I guess I come from the Spider-man school of heroism.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Exactly, Nemm...

I had something I wanted to say but you said it better.

So dinkeldog, I know you're reading our story hour, which means that one of us is kidding himself...

Remove ads