• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you look for in a Gaming Store?

Falcon of Lugh

First Post

First, a moment of personal silence for my old hobby shop who's owners retired after 20 years of excellent service.

What do I look for?

1. Availability - I can get just about any WotC or WWGS book in a chain bookstore. What I can't get are the umpteen billion d20 System OGC books that are out there. I'd like to be able to see the books I find reviewed on various sites.

2. Customer Service - There is nothing more satisfactory in a purchase than a clerk/owner that gives more that a rat's butt about their customers. Those that are willing to have a friendly relationship with you and other customers is even better.

3. Prices - I've worked on the other side of that counter. I know from experience how much owners are paying for their wares. I understand how some chain bookstores can automatically discount books because of the prices they pay. Even a 10% discount can sway buyers who have the option of buying a book with you or at Barnes & Noble.

4. Content - Each of us has our own little realm of RPGs that we like. Value the customer and attempt to keep a varied sort of product out for buyers. Some of us just want D&D and others want battlemats, minis and dice out the yingyang. An owner doesn't have to go overboard with their ordered to do this.

5. In-Store Gaming - Nothing attracts business and increases revenue like having in-store gaming. You build clientle and keep a steady customer base.

6. Knowledgeable Clerks - People are more willing to buy a product if the seller knows it well enough to speak on its behalf.

7. Organization - Keep it nice and keep it clean. Nothing I hate more than seeing a store that looks like an alleyway.

ladyofdragons

First Post
2WS-Steve said:
ladyofdragons: what's the name and location of that gaming store? I'm in Jersey and always on the lookout for another good shop?

The Gamers Realm. http://www.gamersrealm.com. The one I go to is located in West Windsor, NJ, about 5 minutes down the road from exit 8 (or is it 8A...) on the turnpike. There is also one in Cinnaminson, near philadelphia. You might want to come down (up?) and try out their halloween all-night gaming party (has raffles and prizes and lots of games, a pretty nifty thing with a generally large turnout)

2WS-Steve

First Post
ladyofdragons said:

The Gamers Realm. http://www.gamersrealm.com. The one I go to is located in West Windsor, NJ, about 5 minutes down the road from exit 8 (or is it 8A...) on the turnpike. There is also one in Cinnaminson, near philadelphia. You might want to come down (up?) and try out their halloween all-night gaming party (has raffles and prizes and lots of games, a pretty nifty thing with a generally large turnout)

That's my favorite gaming store in the area too :) I'll have to check out the Halloween party if I can get the chance.

Redleg06

First Post
I look for an middle-aged overweight bearded paranoid owner, who knows everything, cannot be told anything, thinks the government is after him, and generally loses interest in his store, but then blames a conspiracy against him for his going out of buisness.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Redleg06 said:
I look for an middle-aged overweight bearded paranoid owner, who knows everything, cannot be told anything, thinks the government is after him, and generally loses interest in his store, but then blames a conspiracy against him for his going out of buisness.

Didn't he go out of business quite a while ago? ;)

p.s. Thanks, Grifter :D

Tarek

Explorer
Shrinkwrap

Yes, dirty hands are occasionally an issue, but perhaps more to the point, shrink-wrapping a product means that the pages won't be folded, spindled, and mutilated by clumsy people.

It means that you'll never find one product half-stuffed inside another. It means that you will never have to deal with the residue of pricing stickers and security tags on your books.

And, at Game Parlor, you can always, always, take the product to the clerks and (gasp) ask them to open it up so that you can look through it. :)

Tarek

SteelDraco

First Post
I'm pretty lucky with regards to my local store. It rocks on toast. I'll freely admit I'm biased; I worked there for about three years, off and on, until I decided that going back to Topeka (about a twenty mile drive from where I attend college) every weekend and working wasn't a good idea.

It's a great place. The front of the store has all kinds of stuff. There's a wide selection of d20 product, several shelves of White Wolf, GURPS, and many other RPGs on one side the store. Another big chunk is devoted to comics, with a fair selection of mainstream stuff, as well as a decent amount of the larger independents. There's a good selection of miniatures as well, mostly GW stuff, but also a pile of general RPG minis. There's also quite a bit of interesting related stuff - chessboards, dragon knick-nacks, statuettes, board games, et cetera. You can order without any hassle, at no extra charge. Things generally show up in about a week. There's a discount program in place, though it's a bit complicated. Basically, you get a punchcard, and every time you buy something, you get some of it punched off. When the card's full, you get some store credit, and go on to a card with a higher value. If you get through all the cards (which is about $1500) you get a 20% discount for the rest of the year. You'd be surprised how many people manage this.

There's also a large area in the back room that's for gaming. There's space for probably seven or eight gaming groups back there, though mostly it's used for CCGs and miniature gaming. When I left, there were about five or six RPGs that had their weekly game in the back room. It's a rare time that there are less than five or six people back there, playing. There are frequent events, usually CCG or miniature game tourneys. Occasionally I'll run an RPG demo, though it's been quite some time now since I've had a chance. The place is large, relatively clean, and has an attached mini-kitchen and bathrooms. The store is right next to a Kwik Shop, as well, which is very nice if you're there for a long time.

The staff is generally knowledgable, though they have their specializations. I was the gaming guy, and was generally the one turned to when people had questions about RPGs. Everybody has a solid general basis, though - you'll only run into trouble if you start asking about something pretty out there. The staff is usually college-aged gamers who've been hanging out there for a long time. The owners are great people, a husband and wife who are probably two of the nicest people I know.

Sheesh. Enough gushing out of me. What do I look for in a gaming store? I want it to be like The Gatekeeper. Stop by if you're ever in Topeka.

Gamersrealm

First Post
2WS-Steve said:

That's my favorite gaming store in the area too :) I'll have to check out the Halloween party if I can get the chance.

Sigh... while I do appreciate hearing from customers that we are doing a great job, I also have to disappoint you from time to time.

As some of you know, we recently acquired the 2000 square foot store next door to our West Windsor store for additional gaming space. The landlord, who owns several nearby apartment complexes, stored many, many applianes in that location. They have since moved the appliances to the large 6000 square foot space where we USED TO host our All-Night Halloween Gaming Party. Furthermore, they are unwilling to relocate them for us.

So, we are not hosting an All-Nighter this year. Instead, we are running a great sale starting this Friday, and all the information will be posted on the website under our Special Events section. Basically, everything will be at least 10% off all weekend, with certain lines and brands being as much as 75% off.

Finally, watch for an announcement from us concerning our Pre-Thanksgiving Sale. We will be holding it the weekend of November 15th-17th, which is one week earlier than usual. This is due to my upcoming wedding the weekend after. However, we will be hosting an auction; one in which you, the customer, may sell your excess game inventory and earn store credit with us by doing so. Watch for more details in an upcoming e-mail, on our website, and via snail-mail flyer.

My apologies for the commerical interruption... you may now continue with your conversation!

Thanks again for the positive feedback!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads