• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you plan on doing for your last 3.x campaign?

GreatLemur

Explorer
I'm going to finish out the 3.5 storyline I'm currently running in a few weeks (a first-level-noobs-from-the-town-have-to-save-the-day kind of thing, with pregen characters to introduce my group to the system), but then I'm going to shift back into player mode for a while for the World of Darkness game we'd been playing previously. By the time I get around to starting up a new D&D campaign for the group, 4E will probably be out.

It's possible, though, that my players will want to stick with 3.5, and if so, I probably won't push 'em. But I think I'll be converting their 3.5 characters over to 4 for 'em and continuing the same campaign. They're low-level enough that I can't imagine it'll be difficult.

Tharkun

First Post
Stormborn said:
This is only for those who plan on switching to 4e when it comes out.

So, any plans for a LAST 3rd edition campaign? Anything you want to throw in there you have't yet?

My turn to DM hasn't come up yet but I plan on using 4.0 rules when it does (even if it's just what we know currently).

Aeric

Explorer
I'm starting be my last 3rd edition campaign in two weeks. It's FR, and rumors are spreading about a dark power rising in the north. Typical "Dark Lord tries to take over the world" scenario, complete with the requisite army of orcs. The twist here is that, instead of trying to thwart the Dark Lord's ambition, the PCs are actually working for him as his minions!

Evil PCs, no limit on races or classes, and I finally get to use all of those books like BoVD and Lords of Darkness. I'm really looking forward to running this "how the other half lives" take on the old classic (even cliche) fantasy plot.

chris.crouch

Explorer
EtCR or ST

I'm running Red Hand of Doom at the moment, and it'll probably take until the end of the year to finish it.

I figure I can write adventures as easily for 4E as 3E, so the stuff that I might like to run under 3E is published adventures. Maybe Expedition to Castle Ravenloft or Savage Tide?

All this is assuming that my game group wants to switch systems - it's not just up to me.

Chris

Hey Chris! Good to see another Adelaidean here on the boards.

As for me, I plan on running the Shackled City AP before we switch over to 4E. That's still quite a few months away before I even start it though so I imagine that we will still be playing 3.5E until well after 4E has been released.

I figure that by the time we're finished SCAP a lot of the kinks would have been worked out of the new edition. I might even see if I can hold off purchasing the new core books until the second printing so a lot of the minor errata is corrected.

Olaf the Stout

cmrscorpio

Explorer
I plan on playing my current Planescape campaign until the introduction of 4e.

The PCs are 5th level (started at 3rd) and I'm going to see how high they can get before July of next year comes around. When the campaign started, we voted that the format of the campaign would be mostly episodic adventures, but the more we play it seems like we are playing episodic adventures with long, complex character-specific side quests. Essentially, they are adventuring so that they have enough resources to do the kinds of things that they want to do. So the campaign will end not with a climactic culmination of plot but with the achievement of long-sought after personal goals.

This is the first time I've run a campaign without an overarching storyline, so I will be very curious to see if interest can be maintained in a campaign based solely in character development. Luckily, I have some very strong roleplayers. I'm very curious to see how it all pans out.

Insight

Adventurer
I'm running a PBP game here on the EN World boards that will transition to 4E once the time comes. In addition, I got roped into starting a new game over the weekend that will transition to 4E assuming it lasts long enough. My FtF group has a lack-of-players problem that causes a lot of promising campaigns to die.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
NoD makes a GREAT way to change over a Ptolus game from 3E to 4E, with the return of ... the thingy. ;)

My campaigns will continue as they are -- although we may integrate virtual tabletop play -- and if everyone enjoys Shadowfell, we'll likely switch it over to 4E, using the Return of the Thingy method.

EyeontheMountain

First Post
I have no plans to change anything I am doing right now, though I will be more encouraged to try and fit Ruins of Greyhawk into my play schedule before 4E comes around. I might run it online, or I might do it ftf, not sure.

But really no big changes before 4E.

Remove ads