• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think about Monte's new PHB Racial Levels?

haiiro

First Post
At first glance, they look pretty good. Extending the concept to the core races was an excellent idea (and kudos to all concerned for making it a nifty freebie).

As with the AU racial levels, I'm curious how they stack up against ECL 1+ races -- does one approach produce more powerful characters than the other, or are they just different?

Jai Kel

Lurker Extraordinaire
I don't understand the Requirements section.

Are these actually some sort of requirements to meet before taking a racial level, or are they actually what you receive when you take one of the racial levels?

Very unclear what's going on there...

Estlor

Explorer
I take it to just be a flub up in titles. That's obvious the "Class Skills" section.

As I understand, "racial levels" in Arcana Unearthed simply require you to be of that race.

Jai Kel

Lurker Extraordinaire
Well, I don't understand the half-elf and half-orc very clearly, either.

Can they only take 3 racial levels total, yet mix them among different races? Or, can they effectively take 6 racial levels from amongst two races?

Ugh. Maybe it's just me, but almost all of Monte's products leave me in an obfuscated state...

F5

Explorer
I think it's a great concept. It's a great way to add to the charater of any of the core races. If you want your character to identify with his people more, it's a great way to show that. It's also a great way to get around the "my fighter has too few skill points to waste on low-level background skills (or wizard or cleric, etc). Most of the races shown here have 4 skill points. I wish this was core; my group isn't likely to use it.

One gripe I have about it, though...half-orc and halfling racial classes both get a d8 for HP? I would have thought the giant, hulking brute should get more hps than the guy the size of an 8-year-old kid. Maybe a typo?

BiggusGeekus@Work

Community Supporter
I like them.

The one thing I wish we had more of in d20/D&D were more 3 level "classes" like this. Instead of blowing up everything into a full PrC its nice to have just a few specializations to inidcate the character is growing closer to his roots or whatever (and getting cool powers to boot!)

F5

Explorer
Jai, the impression I got was that once you've taken one level of half-orc/half-elf, you can choose to advance in one of your two parental classes (not both), or continue advancing as a half-whatever. It wasn't clear where the cut-off was. Could you take three levels of half-elf, and 3 more levels of human, or do you get cut off after 3 racial levels, regardless? Not really clear...maybe they go into more detail in Arcana Unearthed (which I haven't read).

And, I agree with you, BG@W. I like the specialized, few-level prestige classes. I liked the Thaumaturist PrC in 3.5 for this same reason...take a few levels to make your mage more of a summoner. I'd love to see this kind of thing replace school specialization, someday. You want to specialize in Invocation? Sure, take a few levels of the Invoker PrC.

Baron Von StarBlade

F5 said:
I think it's a great concept. It's a great way to add to the charater of any of the core races. If you want your character to identify with his people more, it's a great way to show that. It's also a great way to get around the "my fighter has too few skill points to waste on low-level background skills (or wizard or cleric, etc). Most of the races shown here have 4 skill points. I wish this was core; my group isn't likely to use it.

One gripe I have about it, though...half-orc and halfling racial classes both get a d8 for HP? I would have thought the giant, hulking brute should get more hps than the guy the size of an 8-year-old kid. Maybe a typo?

Actually gnomes got the shaft. They get a D6 HD, and they have a con bonus similar to dwarves. Monte must be anti-gnomite or something ;)

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Humans certainly get an edge in qualifying for prestige classes. Weird skill and feat requirements are much easier to acquire- and without sacrificing much in BAB or spellcasting either.

Given the flavor text, I think that the Elf class should have perform as a class skill.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads