• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think about the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting Book

vagabundo

Adventurer
I've DMed FR for a few years during 3e's reign, being mostly new to FR - aside from a few novels and CGs - I found the 3e FRCG too much, I got some supliments but it was a heavy setting and lightening it took time. Plus my players werent that enthused by the realms, I ran it mostly becuase WOTC supported it heavily.

I do have the 2e FR setting and found it quiet good; lots of campaign seeds, not too heavy, cool NPCs and the shadowdale adventure remains one of my favourites to run. Do you guys think I will like the 4e one?

I'm probably wait for the players book to come out and I may buy the whole bundle and convert the 2e shadowdale adventure.

Obergnom

First Post
I do have the 2e FR setting and found it quiet good; lots of campaign seeds, not too heavy, cool NPCs and the shadowdale adventure remains one of my favourites to run. Do you guys think I will like the 4e one?

I'm probably wait for the players book to come out and I may buy the whole bundle and convert the 2e shadowdale adventure.

I think you will like it. More so than many others here. And there are stats for gibberlings in the new CG! So running "Below the Twisted Tower" should be easy.

vagabundo

Adventurer
I think you will like it. More so than many others here. And there are stats for gibberlings in the new CG! So running "Below the Twisted Tower" should be easy.

Yeah, that's what i'm thinking. From the sounds of it 4e FR is like 4e in general and will appeal to the same set of people. And I love 4e.

I'll get the whole shebang in september I think, looking forward to the players book, maybe that will galvanise my players into realms mode.

Nebulous

Legend
So Loudwater is near-universally disliked, especially as it encompasses over 10% of the book...I wonder if the editors were sitting around and thought that this was the best use of space, especially when it could've been offered as a free supplement through Dungeon/Dragon...

That's what i've gathered from this thread, that a HUGE chunk of the book is devoted to something that is questionably useless, and maybe even low quality on top of that. Yeah, it smells like "web-enhancement" to me.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Dang, and I was trying to be the first person referring to the original grey box, which is what keeps leaping to my mind as I read the 4e FRCG, high-level, easily digestible fluff (and there is actually a lot of it when you get down to it) that covers a lot of area (I'd rather have Dragon articles such as the Cormyr backdrop get into the nitty-gritty setting details). I do have to admit to a weird disconnect when I first started reading it, as I got used to the 3e style of tons and tons of information in tiny font packed into each page, but I'm getting over it.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I spent about 20 minutes paging through it at the store last night. I just couldn't quite get myself to buy it. Not because it isn't a quality product, I think it is quality. I couldn't buy it because I have so much FR material, and I've already changed the realms a lot from "canon" that I'm not sure I need it and I'm trying not to buy books (this time) I'm not sure I need.

That said, I was disappointed in the lack of detail in the magic in Faerun section (if that is the title). It mentioned (I forget the word, but the complicated word that starts with an F that is magical underground energy) and said it had all kinds of effects on magic, but then gave zero examples, no table, nothing. The same could be said of the faerie ring section, and all the sections in that part of the book. This is the section that could have had 10 more pages and some actual rules in it. I was super disappointed by this section, and it is probably the single biggest reason I would have bought the book had it been done well.

Tuerny

First Post
My biggest complaint is they have this place called Gontal on the Returned Abeir map but don't bother to ever detail it in that chapter....or anywhere. Whats up with that?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads