• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what do you think about this decision I made?

Ezequielramone

Explorer
I had a player (pathfinder rpg, cooperative game) who was playing "lone wolf" two sessions ago he made a few things.
He was playing a wizard with spells and op things you all know. that day one of the players couldn't show at the game. His character was petrified so that wasn't a problem. the thing is that they need to teleport the party to the other corner of the realm in order to advance with the history. the best way to do that was using the teleport spell of the wizard. he use the spell only on himself because "the stone wasn't his companion he was a piece of stone", he teleported himself and wait ed till the party walk the entire kingdom carrying the stone friend.
He also is very negative al the time and scream a lot in order to make other do what he wants.
the same day he tole a ring and didn't share loot. The ring was in a corpse and he always ask if anyone is looking to take the stuffs.
he also don't share information in and out game with the group.
the thing is that the last game the other players, since this guy didn't came, told that they didn't want this plplayer to come anymore. so, after being sure no one was happy with him ( I included) I texted him kicking him out.
he says that he was playing the character and the group went faster since he was playing with us.....
I'm pretty sure he is a "bad" player. but I'm not sure if I made the right choice in kicking out the guy with no chance to reply.
what do you think?

Janx

Hero
life is too short to spend your free time in the company of people you don't like.

Since everybody actually decided this, the whole group agrees, that's democracy.

Fact is, if this was a real party of adventurers, they'd have kicked him to the curb long before.

This guy was playing off the free-pass players get when joining a group where players put up with characters they wouldn't tolerate in real life.

Think no more of it.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, we haven't heard the story from the guy's point of view, so it's hard to tell what has really been going on. You're obviously biased, but since the other players voted to get rid of him, it doesn't really matter. Then kicking him is basically the only sensible route (apart from finding a completely new group).

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Thanks for your responses. The guy said to me that he was "playing the character, and that he thought that everybody should difference between a lonely and selfish character and an :):):):):):):) player.
I don't know if other groups accept that kind of player s in dnd or other cooperative games. I think that it's bad way to play. and I really hate when he screams to other players, and when screams in general.
I shared his part of the history with the group and they just couldn't believe it.

Janx

Hero
I've written about this kind of player and why they should be dumped in my blog somewhere. (I'm not famous, it's not that awesome of a blog).

The core problem is that at a real job or playground, that guy would not get invited to join the team, or he'd be kicked out.

But because it's D&D, the expectation is that every player who shows up is allowed to join the party.

His behavior violates the unquestioned membership and trust given to all players. As a result, if you can't get that problem player to behave, the group needs to eject him, just as they would have realistically ejected his character from their company.

As he said, "he was just playing his character", which is the common cry of RPG jerk behavior, so the party is "just playing their characters" when they fire him.

Here's the extra dumb-sauce:
What kind of idiot acts like a jerk, gets thrown out of the group, and then expects that being thrown out was wrong and he should be let back in?

The kind that lacks the social skills and awareness to improve so he'll just do it again. How exactly does he think the group likes him if they voted him out?

Elven

First Post
I had a player (pathfinder rpg, cooperative game) who was playing "lone wolf" two sessions ago he made a few things.
He was playing a wizard with spells and op things you all know. that day one of the players couldn't show at the game. His character was petrified so that wasn't a problem. the thing is that they need to teleport the party to the other corner of the realm in order to advance with the history. the best way to do that was using the teleport spell of the wizard. he use the spell only on himself because "the stone wasn't his companion he was a piece of stone", he teleported himself and wait ed till the party walk the entire kingdom carrying the stone friend.
He also is very negative al the time and scream a lot in order to make other do what he wants.
the same day he tole a ring and didn't share loot. The ring was in a corpse and he always ask if anyone is looking to take the stuffs.
he also don't share information in and out game with the group.
the thing is that the last game the other players, since this guy didn't came, told that they didn't want this plplayer to come anymore. so, after being sure no one was happy with him ( I included) I texted him kicking him out.
he says that he was playing the character and the group went faster since he was playing with us.....
I'm pretty sure he is a "bad" player. but I'm not sure if I made the right choice in kicking out the guy with no chance to reply.
what do you think?

I think:

If he was breeding bad feelings within the group chances are he is a bad player,
is the Player an a-hole, or the character an a-hole (CE characters are always a-holes)

If it was the player, then give him a warning,
If it was the character let the other player characters sort it out in character (reap what you sow baby)

That you posted this shows you may have doubts on wether you were fair or not, (which is a good thing btw,)

Follow your feeling...

R

RevTurkey

Without...being there and meeting this troublesome player I can only guess what my response would be...

but...I do think people can be given second chances in life...

Screaming and such is terrible behaviour. Not good and not allowed at our games.

If said player apologised and showed some humility after discovering his unpopularity then maybe he could be considered for another go...on a trial to see how it went?

dunno though...never met the person. :)

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Thanks you all. The thing is that, on a side I feel like it's kind of my responsibility to make everything works fine (we play at my place, I'm gming, and I make coffe).
But, on the other side time is precious (I work a lot and I'm finishing university)and it's not my responsibility to teach this guy how to behave. I mean, you can have second chances, but he is not a friend which I fought for a girl or a family member with an addiction. He is a friend's friend... So I don't want to spend more time to se IF he can change his behaviour (a really big IF). The cost it too high and the reward... There are tons of good playes, the exit is too easy to consider sepnd a lot of energy in someone I just meet. He can have his second chance with another group, and I really believe that sometimes you have to feel in your bones this kind of crap to realise or learn this kind of things.
Still... I feel it's my responsibility to make the group works.... and he was part of the group. That is the mess.

Last edited:

Nellisir

Hero
Short answer: You did the right thing.

Longer answer: I don't allow selfish narcissistic lone wolf characters in my games. If that's the character someone insists on playing, then they're out. I make this clear up front, and remind people as necessary. (Honestly, the teleport thing would've spurred a private DM/player discussion, and if he stuck by his decision, the character would've been effectively removed from play.) I also don't allow players to boss other players around at the table. That's two strikes against this player.

Ezequielramone

Explorer
Short answer: You did the right thing.

Longer answer: I don't allow selfish narcissistic lone wolf characters in my games. If that's the character someone insists on playing, then they're out. I make this clear up front, and remind people as necessary. (Honestly, the teleport thing would've spurred a private DM/player discussion, and if he stuck by his decision, the character would've been effectively removed from play.) I also don't allow players to boss other players around at the table. That's two strikes against this player.

Thanks. I'm always thinking in give a little chat or e-mail about "normal human behavior" before campaign, but with my lack of time (due to university) I usually don't do it. Now I know it's necessarily

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads