• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think D&D is missing?

Harmon

First Post
Off the top of my head, and only time for one right now-

A person can go from a 120 hp to 1 hp and not have any ill effects (unless its role played of course).

Friendless

First Post
D&D needs fewer numbers. Fewer skills, fewer miscellaneous bonuses, simpler combat. The system gets in the way of the roleplaying.

Moggthegob

First Post
personally, I have no problems and you know why-- if i need a mechanic that doesnt exist i am free to use it. i dont like a mechanic--- fine i make upa new one. Ifi t doesnt workill change it for next time. its dnd not mathematics. I have always viewedthe rules as being fluid not solid and therefore live a very trouble-freee life. Of course in Living Greyhaw play by all of thier rules but thats fine too. I do nto really disagree with much. I am content.

A mechanic I wouldl ike however is a mre definitive view of normal life, the crafting/profession rules leave much to be desired in this area.

fuindordm

Adventurer
Core D&D needs more mundane class options than fighter, barbarian, rogue. Enough of this "spells for everyone, whee!" design philosophy! The knight and scout both seem popular, the ranger really ought to be mundane, and why don't we have a Noble class in the core rules yet?

D&D needs a wound threshold and a formal condition track instead of a massive damage threshold and a laundry list of conditions that have little to do with each other (dazed, confused, fatigued, exhausted, nauseated, drowsy, cranky...). I think that would both
simplify combat and make it more cinematic, as well as adding another way of imposing
a cost on magic.

D&D needs a unified theory of spellcasting. Have one chart for prepared casters, another
for spontaneous casters. Give each class a progression on that chart (e.g. +3/4 caster
levels per level for bard-types), along with associated spells per day and spells known.
Allow even mundane levels to improve spellcasting, provided the character already has
the magic. (So the fighter 10 who gains a level in Wiz doesn't suddenly cast as a 3rd or 4th
level wizard.)

I think those three changes would greatly improve the game.

Remove ads