• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you think of the witch?

Gnome

First Post
It seems like the summoner has gotten all of the attention on here, so I thought I'd start a thread about the witch. So...what do all of you think about the new witch class? I think it's awesome: I love the spell list, as well as the hex abilities. They seem like they would be a lot of fun to play!

A couple of areas for improvement in my mind, however, would be to make the familiar more durable and flavorful (maybe giving it a sanctuary-like ability unless it is used to attack, and/or a way to bring it back from the dead). I'd also like it to be different flavor-wise from a wizard's familiar (maybe it only has the form of an animal, but never really was one at all?).

Finally, I think many of the hexes are too difficult to use, since they are apparently an exception to the general rule of supernatural abilities and touch attacks not provoking attacks of opportunity.

I'm looking forward to seeing the final version of this class, at any rate.

Xendria

First Post
I love the witch as well, and I think the reason your seeing less chat about it is because it was so well received by players.

On the topic of the hexes, I don't know where you saw that they didn't get AoO on them when they used their hexes. In the write up it states at the end of the Hexes description:

Unless otherwise noted, using a hex is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity.

On your last point about the familiar, i agree. I would definitely like to see some more distinction between the witch's and wizard's familiars. In my game, I allowed a player to use the idea that his familiar chose him. It was another witch who was cursed by a god into the form of a raven. We also gave it the ability to speak elvish for flavor reasons, but this worked out incredibly well. I really like the idea of the familiar being able to talk at lower levels, and I will probably keep it.

EroGaki

First Post
I like the concept of the witch, but I'm not too keen on the execution. The Hexes bother me; with a few exception, most are kind of lackluster.

fuindordm

Adventurer
The witch is a very well-designed class, with some interesting features.

The hexes are fairly generic in nature, but they serve their purpose: they support the archetype, and they give the witch something useful to do other than cast spells. They also do well at letting the player choose between "good witch" and "evil witch". I don't think it would be a problem for players to come up with their own hexes if they want something a little more unique.

Linking the class to hags was an excellent idea. Adding a "domain" to their spell list based on familiar type is also a very good idea (but I'm biased there, having done something similar myself).

The familiars suffer from being too similar to the wizard's familiar, even though the origin of the device lies with witches. Honestly, in a campaign with both wizards and witches, only the latter should have familiars.

So why does the class feel lackluster? I can think of a couple of reasons:

1. No unique spells--they just draw from the three primary spell lists.
2. The familiar has been overdone with wizards, when it should have been one of the witch's unique and exciting features.

THe first reason is easily addressed, although it takes some work. It would be great to come up with one or two spells per level that only the witch has access to, in addition to the unique hexes (maybe that forced reincarnation hex should be a spell or ritual... is it supposed to represent turning someone into a toad?). Some of these could be attached to the familiar lists to emphasize that their spellcasting is somewhat ad hoc--they can learn from others, but their own special magic is linked to hexes or the familiar.

The second reason is something we're just going to have to live with, I'm afraid. If only witches can have familiars, they become more special. If the class ends up lacking in punch, maybe they could get a couple of bonus feats related to upgrading their familiar.

But overall, the class gets a solid 'A' from me for style and balance.

Ben

SKTillBreakODay

First Post
I have one problem with the Witch: the fact that her hexes provoke attacks of opportunity. With a d6 hit die and a very limited armor list*, The witch can't really be running around and hexing people, unless the PC has a death wish. It's a very fragile class, it seems.

*I don't have the actual armor list in front of me so I don't remember what their best base armor is, but i can't imagine the list would have much more than cloth.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
I can pretty much guarantee that the final book will have plenty of new witch spells. New spells for all spellcasting classes, in fact, from both the core game and the Advanced Player's Guide.

Gnome

First Post
On the topic of the hexes, I don't know where you saw that they didn't get AoO on them when they used their hexes. In the write up it states at the end of the Hexes description:

Actually that's what I meant. Supernatural abilities aren't supposed to provoke, nor are touch attacks, but the witch's powers do because the text says they do.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads