D&D General What do you want in a game space?

jgsugden

Legend
I'd be curious to see people tell me what their game space thoughts are for when they run D&D as a DM:

What are your must haves?

What are the things you have, don't really need, but sure enjoy having?

What are the things you wish you had, but don't?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
hmmm....interesting. Like to come up with one's "dream space?" I've been somewhat spoiled of late as a member in our group has a finished basement full of materials, gaming table complete with cushy chairs and and six individual pull out dice trays and drink holders. Every manual and module for every conceivable gaming system (but especially D&D and Pathfinder). Miniatures of just about anything you can imagine/ever put out.

Nothing short of amazing. Unfortunately, between the pandemic and various other circumstances, that group hasn't been getting together in some time.

Lemme give it a think and I'll post up a dream space in a bit.

Yora

Legend
I need table space. I need space to put all my own stuff, and an open and visible space for any maps and such I put out. And I really appreciate it if the players keep the table mostly free of distracting clutter. I got ADD and a somewhat neat table really frees up some mental capacities.
Bottles can be put on the floor, they don't need to be on the table in my line of sight to any of the players.

Having some "leg room" is also nice. By which I mean space to push back your chairs and walk normally to other parts of the room, without having to climb over everyone else who's wedged in between the table and wall. Not because I need to run around a lot, but because it's really needlessly disruptive when you have six to eight people, and someone is getting up every 15 minutes.

I also really like having good light on the table, to see the dice and character sheets, and not on the ceiling. I really don't like playing in places that are lit like an industrial kitchen or basement workshop.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I'd be curious to see people tell me what their game space thoughts are for when they run D&D as a DM:

Dice, a map, and notes.
Joke: Players.

Serious: Mats, minis, terrain, and all the other accessories.
A better printer for big, full-color maps. Better cartographer software. Physical copies of Stars Without Number and Worlds Without Number. Real pie-in-the-sky time, all my Al-Qadim, Dark Sun, Mystara/Known World, Ravenloft, and Spelljammer books that have...wandered off...over the years.

Last edited:

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
At the center of the room is a decent-sized table for playing with ample power outlets for laptops. Surrounding it are six comfortable, adjustable chairs. Nearby is a side table for food and drinks. A bottle of Jameson figures prominently among its lessers. The air is cool and the bathroom is far enough away that no malodorous smells can drift into the room. A wireless speaker positioned strategically plays some background music appropriate to the theme.

Hex08

Hero
I'm in the process of remodeling my basement into a gaming room in a steampunk style. I want one of these table toppers for my table, the Homes with Dragon Master accessory bundle.

Stormonu

Legend
Adventure, notes, pen, pencil, dice, PHB, MM (& DMG occasionally)

iPad (for books & beyond for characters), DM's screen, side table for my "spread", miniatures, dungeon tiles or wipe-mat, a plush office chair on rollers, laptop and wall-based TV to display character hand-outs, NPCs and other objects as well as play music

A table (with cupholders) with a built in TV for projecting battlemaps and other objects.

Remove ads