• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you want the next "genre setting" to be?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I want a d20 Modern/Urbana Arcana type of setting with cybernetics and magic. In other words, a 4e-ish Shadowrun.
Dude, if you haven't heard of it before, you need to check out Etherscope. It's almost everything you want, except it's set in the Victorian age i/o Modern age. AWESOME stuff.

Speaking of, I would love to see D&D advance to the Victorian steampunk era (gives something for the non-mages to do). Something like Etherscope meets Iron Kingdoms meets Eberron meets Final Fantasy-type stuff. ;)

SSquirrel

Explorer
I'm in the mood for Star Frontiers or Spelljammer.

Strangely, I had more problems envisioning Ravenloft under 3E than in 4E. And I am not a 4E person.

Spelljammer would be neat to see and for a smaller genre book like this they wouldn't be risking much. I would have been fine with Urban Arcana except I really disliked d20 Modern. A Shadowrunish sort of game would be neat tho.

Birthright. Have it have rules on building your own personal empire.

Real estate. Ask Donald Trump :)

karlindel

First Post
I'd like to see a Victorian Setting with steampunk and magic.

After that, a modern game with magic would be cool.

Science Fiction and Superhero genres would also be cool, but are lower on my list.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
I'd kinda like to wait and see what exactly WOTC does with the Gamma World "genre setting" before I start hoping they do it to other genres/settings.

Ampolitor

Explorer
Birthright

I would love to see Birthright as a setting, it's still my favorite setting and I dont think that they gave it enough time to catch on, even if you dont like running an empire the game world itself was get to adventure in.

GAAAHHH

First Post
I would like:
Star Frontiers
Top Secret
Dark Matter

Ravenloft, Al-Qadim , Spelljammer, Dragonlance, Birthright and the like aren't genre books so much as they are setting books. WotC has already said they would only publish one of these a year (and by implication likely will only publish one genre book a year).

Khairn

First Post
Something actually new and original instead of re-wrapping older settings would be pleasant surprise and a nice change. Really. Anything original.

Nork

First Post
Spelljammer, except with actual water and actual boats and none of that space stuff.

A nautical based campaign world sound interesting and I'd love to read about it.

Solid and well done nautical rules that you could export would be useful for almost any campaign world. Heck you could even use them in Darksun.

Super not interested in yet another euro inspired middle ages-esque castles with armored knights fighting dragons/whatever world. If I wanted Dragonlance, Birthright, or Greyhawk, I'd just use the forgotten realm setting (yes, I went right out there and said it, you don't have to agree, but its my opinion).

I'm also not interested in something *weird* like Spelljammer or Planescape. Weird stuff is neat to read but next to impossible to make it seem consistent. Games fall to pieces when they don't feel consistent. Darksun is good because it is a desert world with dictators. Cause and effect is common sense in the world. Run out of water in Darksun? You don't feel good until you die or find more water. Nothing to explain, and nothing that will cause players new to the setting to sit there and not do anything because it isn't obvious how the world works.

Ravenloft might work, but it would need to have rules for running 'low power' campaigns (and I don't mean swingy oops your dead mechanics), investigation, and running away. Four encounters a day where you beat up werewolves wouldn't be Ravenloft, and I can already do that with the current rules. If they gave me rules and advice for running 4 encounters with the same werewolf without making it feel like GM fiat, then that would be useful.

Remove ads