• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you want to ask WotC?

A couple months ago, Dungeon published a letter from an incarcerated reader. Most prisoners are not allowed access to the Internet: do you plan on providing a solution for them?

D&D fans seem to have voracious appetites for new material: just how harmful to WotC's new online-based content would it have been to allow Dungeon and/or Dragon to continue to exist?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Bobby,

Now THERE'S something we haven't heard discussed in any length!

Excellent point Bobby! You win the dragon! *hand Bobby a Puff the Magic Dragon plushie*

Well done and thank you Morrus in opening up this opportunity for us in what must be a very tough week.

1. Is there a chance of compiling the newly produced material in an annual magazine/book/compendium?
While I'm trying to appreciate the digital initiative, there would seem to be a lot of people for whom this new material will miss totally. A physical copy or best of series would seem a suitable compromise allowing subscribers to still get value as well as allowing the rest of us to enjoy.

2. Will new material be available as a pdf?
If I purchase a subscription, I would like to know that I can always keep and refer to the material.

3. This is perhaps more suggestion than a question and unfortunately starts with an Australian analogy.
Two tollways opened in Sydney recently, the Cross-city tunnel and the M7. The cross-city tunnel planned to charge a heap, closing local roads to force traffic into it. This was not appreciated by the public and suffice to say, the cross-city tunnel failed losing an awful lot of money. The M7 operators learning from their mistake opened their motorway for free for a short period of time so people could experiment and try it. The good will shown by the M7 operator was sincerely appreciated by the public. With the public on side, the M7 tollway has been an amazing success.

For the sake of D&D, I don't want your plans to fail.
Is there a possibility of making the first "issue" free so that all could look at what you have planned and have a chance to get enthusiatic about it?
I think there is currently a lot of ill will towards WotC that is not going to go away by the time your digital intiaitive starts up. Such a plan would hopefully mend some bridges as well as involve as much of your potential audience as possible. Excerpts and sneak previews will not work in my opinion because of the large amount of ill will shown. Would you consider such a plan for the first issue?
To be honest, I think you will need to.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

Nightfall

Herremann,

I think you've over-estimated the time between the Paizo announcement and this announcement. But yeah I'm sure it's been tough on Russ/Morrus.

johnsemlak

First Post
Two related questions:

Can you give us more specifics as to why the print versions of the magazines are being discontinued, although apparently they were seeing increasing readership?

In your decision to move the magazines' content to an online format, was there any consideration of having material available in both print and digital format simultaneously?

Last edited:

Nightfall

John,

I like the fact you're being bold..but I will be honest to you. In my mind, I don't think they'll answer this one.

If they do, more power to you. And thanks for playing! :D

Nightfall said:
Herremann,

I think you've over-estimated the time between the Paizo announcement and this announcement. But yeah I'm sure it's been tough on Russ/Morrus.
When I have a bad Thursday and Friday, I've had a bad week, regardless of how good Monday to Wednesday may have been. I've just noticed Morrus having to kick people off of this site too. This must be tough, even though some idiots are trying to make it easy.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

the Lorax

First Post
1. How do you plan to package and sell these new eProducts? Clearly there is going to be a certain amount of material that is only useful for DMs, and other material that everyone is a target for.

2. Is there any plan to offer a reviews and updates of non-Wizards products? I for one enjoyed reading about new accessories to help my games (like the Steelwire templates for example).

evanger

First Post
Timing, etc.

1. Why kill the magazines before the replacement is ready to go?

2. Are the names Dragon and Dungeon being used in these new online products? Honestly, this is the only reason I can think of as to why this move would be made... you have an idea for an online product and you want to use these names. If the online product(s) have any other name(s), the act of cancelling two successful and iconic magazines just because they'd compete with your new product will appear more random and spiteful.

caudor

Adventurer
It seems like the end of Dragon & Dungeon is somehow linked to the Digital Initiative. Is that true?

I know some things can't be said until the moment is right to release the information.

Will adventures (perhaps like those that were in Dungeon) be available, or even playable online?

Will there be an online character generator or creation tool?

How about a virtual tabletop?

Will there be some mechanism to play with friends online?

I'm looking forward to any tools that will make the game easier to play without dumbing it down. I'm hoping this is 'the next big thing' in D&D.

Best Regards,
-Chris

Last edited:

Remove ads