• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do you want to see in the fourth Adventure Path?

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Erik Mona said:
There was a lot of intrigue related to the Directing Oligarchy of the City of Greyhawk as well as some stuff with the Thieves' Guild. The "Free City" part would have taken up about a third of the campaign, as I recall. It's been a while, and frankly all of my various projects are sort of running together in my mind.

Erik Mona said:
Oh, and a complete adventure set in Magepoint dealing with Tenser and his associates.

Essentially, when Wizards of the Coast said "Don't use Greyhawk or Tenser" the choices of what to cut became very clear. I think the AP is better off for it, honestly, although I was pretty frustrated at the time.

--Erik

Can't all of that be reset in a generic setting, such as RHoD, so that it's all usable?

Soel

First Post
I would love a shorter ap. The current one is keeping me from subscribing. (it lasts a year, and if you don't like it, then you're losing out on 1/3 of the mag.)

Please, no more demon/devil ones (probably outsider-free as well.)

As mentioned before, one that makes you travel to diff lands would be cool.

Like to see as villians-

Fey (in a nature's revolt sorta thing.)

Beholders (they decide, maybe because of a viral threat to their race, or other perhaps genetic threat to their race, to surface and take over, ala War of the Worlds)

Undead and related (perhaps all souls refuse to leave this plane, and the build-up triggers radical events such as massive rising dead outbreaks, ghost mobs, death giants, changes to magic, necromancers taking advantage, you can even throw bones to those few who bought Ghostwalk!)

Mr Vergee

First Post
I quite like the idea of 1-12, with one adventure for every level. No 15-20 level would also keep the demons and dragons out. With the 2 AP published so far, I always got the feeling that the campaign got weaker towards the end (although AP2 did a much better job than AP1).

I'm all in favor of political intrigue, infiltrating organisations or thieves' guilds, adversaries who aren't evil or an adventure path finale in which the PCs have to choose which side they fight for. Anything that focuses more on role-playing than on roll-playing. Anyone can throw a demon or dragon at the PCs, it's a lot harder to keep the PCs occupied with something else. I'm reminded of the adventure in AP2 Age of worms in which the PCs have to infiltrate the court of Prince Zeech - excellent stuff. I would love a campaign which focuses more on that kind of plotline.

el-remmen said:
But please, if you do it, please do a better job than you did on the Mud Sorcerer's Tomb in terms of the artwork.

I particularly liked the art in the redone Mud Sorcerer's Tomb. However, I'm not a fan of retro.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
RangerWickett said:
I particularly liked the art in the redone Mud Sorcerer's Tomb. However, I'm not a fan of retro.

I just found the clean black and white art of the original was clearer and easier to reproduce, in order to show the reliefs of faces on the various walls which are a theme in th dungeon. The blue-green smudgey dark things they had in the redo were useless.

el-remmen said:
I just found the clean black and white art of the original was clearer and easier to reproduce, in order to show the reliefs of faces on the various walls which are a theme in th dungeon. The blue-green smudgey dark things they had in the redo were useless.

Oh, for the puzzles, yeah, I'll definitely agree. They're clearly supposed to be shown to the players, but . . . they're not clear (and they're in the middle of pages with critter stats). I think web-content is an obvious way to handle these sorts of things, with a link to it printed in the article so you can just go and download player hand-outs if you want.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
Essentially, when Wizards of the Coast said "Don't use Greyhawk or Tenser" the choices of what to cut became very clear. I think the AP is better off for it, honestly, although I was pretty frustrated at the time.
I know our group is still running through the AoW adventure path and probably for quite some time. Any hints or suggestions that tie into the other adventures or even just an outline of what you had in mind would be greatly appreciated. I, for one, am still amazed at the number of subtle hints to Greyhawk lore you sprinkled in.

SCMrks

First Post
How about featuring the Shadar-Kai? They are fey but have a connection to the plane of shadow. They could be trying to invade into the world but they aren't trying to take it over or destroy it, they are trying to break their shadow curse and return to their original home. They could approach the unseelie court for help in breaking the curse. Some good aligned group (maybe a circle of druids) could be trying to help them because they see them as lost fey just trying to return home. But later the party helps them to learn the true evil of the Shadar-Kai. A group following the god of light could have a crusade to stop their return. Groups following the god of darkness are helping them to gain them as allies. At higher levels the party has to enter the shadow plane to foil the return. The party has to adventure through their home area but it is the shadow version of it.

ruleslawyer

Actually, an Underdark AP would be a great idea. No need for dragons, demons, or devils; one could concentrate on kuo-toa, aboleths, illithids, beholders, phaerimm, high-level drow and duergar, githyanki and githzerai illithid-hunting parties, and a variety of advanced oozes, cloakers, and the like. Easily takes you to 20th level, and you can fold in drow and aboleth cities, excursions to the Far Realm, and so forth.

Remove ads