• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do your players do with thier dead foes?

What do your players do to the bodies of thier dead foes.

• PCs leave the the bodies to rot.

Votes: 163 57.4%
  • PCs sure they cannot be [i]animated[/i] one way or another

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • PCs do traditional stuff with bodies, burial if time, last rights spoken by divine casters

Votes: 33 11.6%
  • Waste not, Want not. [i]rations and components[/i]

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • fun...

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • we never even thought about this.

Votes: 32 11.3%

frankthedm

First Post
JustKim said:
There is a certain player who always makes a note to burn bodies no matter the character and no matter the situation (Within reason I guess). I don't see this being a socially acceptable or even personally acceptable thing to do, lighting up after every battle to deny burial rights, grieving, not to mention plot devices. Better safe than sorry the credo goes, although it feels a lot more like a tired routine, and I'm resolved to break it with random acts of DM meanness.
I was doing some work on an undead creature that might be helpful in that endevor.

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?p=3225805#post3225805

The Iron Mark

First Post
Inconsequenti-AL said:
Playing Deadlands, we got to the point where we diced them into 1 inch cubes. Even got a specially adapted butchers machine built. Then we'd set the bits on fire. Really have to play the setting to understand why.
Hmm, I should remember that for the next time I play.

Jolly Giant

First Post
Depending on the campaign (and the dead foe), the players in my group have done everything on your list (and then some) with dead bodies. They've buried some, animated some as zombies, in some cases made sure the dead guys can't be raised, collected skulls or other trophies...

Most of the time though, they leave'em for the vultures.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
Until this last year, I'd have said we ignore them, but now my group has a regular who really, really enjoys taking trophies. So much so that it kind of disturbs me.

As for me personally, i usually leave them alone. The one blatant exception was one time when I was a rogue and we found a bunch of bodies that had been tied to large wooden stakes, tortured, and burnt by a red dragon's breath weapon. We found some stuff on them, but nothing i could use. I felt shafted, so I declared i would search the bodies. Everyone suddenly looked disgusted at me for what that would effectively mean. Realizing it myself, I added in "And I'm taking 20!" for added effect. Good times. ^_^

sniffles

First Post
Depends on the situation. Usually, loot the bodies and leave them where they lie. But we might bury them nicely if the circumstances warrant, or if we're playing a party of goody-two-shoes types.

grodog

Hero
I've had players range across your responses in the poll:

PCs leave the the bodies to rot.

Generally, this is what players do, IME.

PCs sure they cannot be animated one way or another

This is what smart players do, and also includes insuring that key NPC foes can't be resurrected (down to disintegrating the bodies [which was less forgiving in AD&D] and/or destroying the souls...).

PCs do traditional stuff with bodies, burial if time, last rights spoken by divine casters

For fallen hirelings, henchmen, allies, random NPC who were good (or at least not evil, etc.).

Waste not, Want not. rations and components

Generally not an issue ;)

Ditto, although some necromancers have been known to....

we never even thought about this.

Most players who have killed a rival NPC foe more than once are much more circumspect about this kind of thing, so IME the more-experienced players will try to insure that important foes can't return (as undead, via resurrection or reincarnation, etc.) to vex them in the future.

Last edited:

Missywelden

First Post
O_O I think my group must have mental problems LOL. Everyone else here had PCs do normal things. Mine loot then, yes...and then they start stabbing them and chopping them up to bits. They will sometimes take heads. They had a wagon for bodies once...so that they could take their skulls and other bones. They almost never just leave anything...o.o

No sorry, they leave skeletons alone usually.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads