• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What do your players do with thier dead foes?

What do your players do to the bodies of thier dead foes.

• PCs leave the the bodies to rot.

Votes: 163 57.4%
  • PCs sure they cannot be [i]animated[/i] one way or another

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • PCs do traditional stuff with bodies, burial if time, last rights spoken by divine casters

Votes: 33 11.6%
  • Waste not, Want not. [i]rations and components[/i]

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • fun...

Votes: 11 3.9%
  • we never even thought about this.

Votes: 32 11.3%

Sejs

First Post
frankthedm said:
I say dead end damned evil, pretty much just because of the Barghest bit.
Now this is actually someone else's character we're discussing, so I can't go into full depth regarding his motivations, etc as I'm going off observational evidence.

I am curious though - what is it that pegs him at the far end of the scale in your view? Willing association with an evil creature? Destruction of a soul? Something else?

kensanata

Explorer
We used to never think about it. Then we had a player for a few sessions who felt like burying them. The other players ignored him. Now they're realizing that a big part of the campaign is going to be against evil necromancers. They just fought (and lost) against an evil cleric with a dozen skeletons and zombies who had occupied a ruin where the players had killed lots of bandits a few weeks back. And now they are realizing that the evil cleric is going to replace the skeletons they killed with animated dead bandits.

Perhaps they'll start blessing and burying their foes, now. :)

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
You forgot to put 'other' or 'varies'.

Most of the time my players just leave the bodies to rot. However, if a bad guy really gets them angry they'll start getting inventive.

On one occasion a Big Bad's skeleton ended up on display in the character's HQ. Another got dropped on a warehouse from 35,000 feet. Then there's the time they used some high-tech kit to strip every last bit of a bad guy away from his nanocybernetics; that was pretty gruesome.
The angriest they ever got resulted in a bad guy getting riveted to the roof of a car.

Angry players get nasty.

wayne62682

First Post
Come ON, dude, bodies VANISH when they die (or, after a minute or so). Get with the times! :p

No, seriously I have never played a game where anyone at the table, including the DM, even cares what happens to the bodies of the dead; we just handwave that the PCs do SOMETHING with them so there isn't a bunch of bloody, hacked, rotting corpses in the middle of the road.

So... yeah, they might as well vanish, Final Fantasy style.

papakee

First Post
bodies

I love it when the players do not do anything with the bodies in a high level game. Its pretty easy for the bad guys friends to animate/create undead/raise/resurrect/miracle them back to life. The party gets to fight them all over again and doesn't get any XP for slaying them the second or third time...ha..ha..ha..

frankthedm

First Post
Sejs said:
I am curious though - what is it that pegs him at the far end of the scale in your view? Willing association with an evil creature? Destruction of a soul? Something else?
:confused: You really have to ask? :confused:

Doghead Thirteen

First Post
Frank, I'd say he does, otherwise he wouldn't be asking. I'm fairly confused too.

*sigh* This is why I don't like the constraint of an alignment system; it makes being an antihero quite difficult, and I find antiheroes fun.

In case you're wondering, that means a seriously unpleasent person doing severely nasty things for a very good reason. Who knows that feeding that particular bad guy to a barghest was or wasn't a very pointed form of poetic justice / exactly what the barghest lunch deserved? That's right, the players and GM involved.

Remove ads