• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What does a good group do with Evil equipment?

Otterscrubber

First Post
I frequently have my generally good aligned groups getting their hands on unholy or otherwise evil magic items. They dont want to sell them but I feel that they should get some type of use out of them. I'm curious as to how other campaigns handle this.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
So far, my PCs have given it to the Church of the LG Sun God for destruction. They are racking up "brownie points", but they are starting to get an itch for more ... liquid compensation.

I'm eagerly waiting to see what they do with the next batch.

-- N

Hashmalum

Explorer
Otterscrubber said:
I frequently have my generally good aligned groups getting their hands on unholy or otherwise evil magic items. They dont want to sell them but I feel that they should get some type of use out of them. I'm curious as to how other campaigns handle this.
This hasn't come up (yet) in my campaign, but I'd suggest that you award XP for their destruction. After all, they have overcome a challenge of sorts--the temptation to use them (which would be evil) or sell them (which would put them back in evil hands to cause more misery). The other thing you could do is use the rules in the Book of Exalted Deeds (if you have it) for redeeming evil items. Even if the PCs couldn't do it themselves, if you rule that redeeming evil items is possible they could look for an NPC who could it to sell the items to or pay to do it for them.

FireLance

Legend
The BoED has another nifty way of dealing with evil items. The Ancestral Relic feat allows you to sacrifice magic items to increase the power of your inherited relic. So, if you're high level enough, just hole up and meditate 16 days with your granddaddy's +1 longsword and 16,000 gp worth of evil magic items, and at the end of that time, you get rid of the evil stuff and you're the proud owner of a +1 holy longsword!

Storminator

First Post
After disarming the vampire of his unholy, level draining, elf bane (we're all elves...) longsword, I broke it over my knee.

Which the DM thought was almost as funny as when he hit me with the thing...

PS

Paragon

Wielder of the Power Cosmic
BoED also has rules for Redeeming evil magic items. basically turning them good or harmless. either or.

Remove ads