• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What does a Kraken look like?

nute

Explorer
"What does a kraken look like?"

"What?"

"What region are you from?"

"What? What? Wh-"

"What ain't no region I ever heard of! They speak Common in What?"

"What?"

"COMMON, BASE KNAVE! DOST THOU SPEAK IT?"

"Yes! Yes!"

"Then you know what I'm saying?"

"Yes!"

"Describe what a kraken looks like."

"...what?"

"SAY WHAT AGAIN! Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you!"

"It... it... it's Huge..."

"Go on..."

"It's got tentacles!"

"Does it look like a flumph?"

"What? AGH! AAAAAH!"

"DOES. IT. LOOK. LIKE. A. FLUMPH?"

"NO!"

"Then why'd you try and charm it like a flumph, Brett?"

"I didn't!"

"Yes you did. YES you DID, Brett. You tried to charm the kraken."

"No... no..."

"And the kraken can't be charmed by anyone, except a wizard of at least fifteenth level. You read the DMG, Brett?"

Thanks everyone! That picture really clears things up. Er...well, mostly. It still doesn't explain how the shell fits into it (or vice versa). I'm going to guess that krakens lair in shells but can leave them. Rather weird, but it is a giant primordial monster.

You can also find the original design here: http://www.brynnart.com/designing-for-dungeons-dragons-5e/

This has a bit more detailed side view of the side and underbelly.

Aha! The "shell" is actually part of it's skeleton...maybe? It looks like it could be the skeletal structure of the upper torso in the right picture particularly. That still leaves the question of why their is a shell picture in the MM with some tentacles sticking out of it. Now I'm wanting to classify it as a goof where two incompatible ideas made it into the MM (which was kind of what it looked like from the start).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads