• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What does having a negative caster level mean?

sullivan

First Post
If you take the Mage Slayer and it reduces your casterlevel to zero or even lower, what happens with spell than don't depend on caster level in a meaningful way? And what happens with spell that do. For example Acid Arrow with a caster level -3, do you get 1 + (-1) = zero arrows at a range of 400'-120'=280'? Basically accomplishing nothing. What about Acid Arrow with a caster level -2, where it would be 1 + 0 at a range of 400' - 80' = 320'?

sullivan

First Post
Jack Simth said:
Possibly that you can't cast spells at all anymore for a while?

That thought occured to me, but caster level adjustments aren't suppose to be used to adjust the number of spells known or spells/day that you cast.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
You have to have the minimum caster level to cast a spell. i.e. you must have at least a caster level of 3 to cast a Fireball. If you have a caster level of 0 or less, you cannot cast spells.

sullivan

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
You have to have the minimum caster level to cast a spell. i.e. you must have at least a caster level of 3 to cast a Fireball. If you have a caster level of 0 or less, you cannot cast spells.

I know there is the limit where you have to have Casting Attribute of 10+Spell level. But I don't remember seeing the limit you are giving. Do you have a rule reference?

Thanee

First Post
I don't think there is such a limit and I furthermore don't think the rules really cover negative caster levels, so just make something up. :p

I'd probably stop at 0 (what would a negative caster level be, anyways?) and calculate everything according to the usual formulas given the current caster level.

Bye
Thanee

Lord Pendragon

First Post
srd said:
CASTER LEVEL
A spell’s power often depends on its caster level, which for most spellcasting characters is equal to your class level in the class you’re using to cast the spell. You can cast a spell at a lower caster level than normal, but the caster level you choose must be high enough for you to cast the spell in question, and all level-dependent features must be based on the same caster level.
Bold mine.

Jack Simth

First Post
Well.... there's no specific listing that a character casting a prepared spell (or known spell, for spontaneous castings) can't cast it after his effective caster level has been reduced; however, you have problems casting a spell from a scroll if your caster level is lower than the scroll's. Perhaps to cast a spell where you caster level has been reduced beyond where the spell would normally be available to you uses the rules for casting from a scroll?

Edit: Whoops - guess there is. Nevermind.

Last edited:

sullivan

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
Bold mine.

The context is voluntary choice of caster level (if you were trying to pull punches with a damage spell?). I suppose you could rule that the limitation extends to involuntary choice as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads