• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Does it Take to be a D&D DM?

What is Required to be a Good D&D DM?

• Writing Talent

Votes: 26 16.9%
  • A Great Plot Idea

Votes: 35 22.7%
  • A Clear Plot Concept

Votes: 85 55.2%
  • Rules Mastery

Votes: 31 20.1%
  • Rules Familiarity (less strong than Mastery)

Votes: 106 68.8%
  • Familiarity with Fantasy Concepts via Novels

Votes: 40 26.0%
  • Familiarity with Fantasy Concepts non-Novel Sources (IE Movies)

• A Forceful Personality

Votes: 48 31.2%
  • Ability to do Voices\Personalities (NPC 'Impressions')

• Good Organization Skills

Votes: 101 65.6%
  • Basic Knowledge of the Setting (EG Greyhawk, FR, Eberron, Homebrew, etc.)

Votes: 74 48.1%
  • Intimate Knowledge of the Setting

Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Basic Knowledge of the Medieval World (for using Earth's Medieval as a basis)

Votes: 32 20.8%
  • Intimate Knowledge of the Medieval World

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • A Strong Drive to DM

Votes: 114 74.0%
  • Partial Detachment from NPCs (IE they aren't PC's, they may die, etc.)

Votes: 97 63.0%
  • Basic Knowledge of Political Systems (Medieval in Particular)

Votes: 41 26.6%
  • Intimate Knowledge of Political Systems

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Other

Votes: 48 31.2%

Zephier

First Post
i appologise if im repeating something someone else said, im tired but i figured i'd chime in with something i learned trying to dm/ gm. as a dm is extremely important that you do not lead the players around by the nose. its ok to put them into unpleasant situations, but completely impossible/hopeless situations are not good. and make sure the players are the main actors, no one likes to be playing heroic fantasy only to be saved time and time again by npcs that make the pcs look like toddlers. the only time i've felt like i'd rather not be playing dnd was then the dm tossed us into a fight against impossible odds; ie we couldnt even hit the opposition. We were later saved by one fighter of exeptional skill... this was an absolute waste of gaming time as the players didnt actually do anything but take up space around the table... once again im sorry if this is completely incoherent or if it repeats someone else's statement..im tired and not thinking in anything resembling a geometric shape.

Ds Da Man

First Post
AND MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF PATIENCE.............

Seriously though, many first timers get discouraged because their first plan wasn't the greatest, or the players weren't on the same page as the DM. I say practice makes perfect. Having a decent knowledge of rules, and good organizational skills also help, but won't make you the best. A good imagination, quick-thinking ability, and the ability to realize what each player needs to have a ball is really a fundamental key to DMing.

Nareau

Explorer
I know the BAD DM trap. The first module I ran was a lot of fun--the good guys succeeded, had a fun battle, and totally foiled the well-laid plans of the bad guys. Up until the moment when the bad guy sneaked away and succeeded anyways. As a DM, I really wanted the bad guy to win. I'd seen too many movies where, after the "final scene," the camera zooms into the hockey mask, and the eyes flick open just before the blackout.

Even when the good guys win, these movies tell me, it's scary/cool when the bad guys weren't really defeated after all!!!. I accepted this as good storytelling, not as the cheap marketing ploy that it actually is.

At any rate, that first module ended with a bunch of really pissed off players. I'll never forget that. I was frustrated, angry, and confused as to why they were mad. I mean, I had fun. What's the big deal?

It took me a long time to realize that what's fun as a DM (screw...I mean, challenging PC's) isn't necessarily fun as a player. I would ask your DM to brainstorm 20 of the best games and most fun experiences as a player. Then have your whole group do that. Turn them into the DM, and tell him "This is the game we want you to run!"

What does it take to be a good DM? Depends on what you mean by 'good'. A fun DM is one who knows his players, and can come up with exciting and intriguing scenes that will engage everyone in the group. A powerful DM is one who can create complex moral, political, and emotional scenes that the players will never forget. An epic DM is one whose stories are so huge, so fantastic, that they rival mythologies.

Not that I'm trying to spread around the flattery...but from the one session I got to play with him, I think PirateCat is the best DM in the world. Literally. You want to know what it takes to be a DM, insinuate yourself into one of his games at the next con you attend.

Spider

twofalls

DM Beadle
Buy him a copy of "Game Mastering Secrets Second Edition" by Aaron Rosenberg (Greyghost Publishers). Another good publication is Robin's Laws by Robin Law (published by SJG), although this second manual is more targeted for an audience of advanced GM's. The first book very clearly and in well written terms explains how to GM from the ground up. Then give him a copy of the Sunless Citadel and ask him to not just read both books, but to study them. Read the module several times to learn what the author is trying to accomplish with the different scenes and try to figure out what pacing is needed (and look up pacing in the GMS book). I'd hazard a guess and say just about all the old time GM's on this board learned by running the early adventures, probably over and over again, and there are a lot of tools available now that weren't available then for new GM's. Heck, even the new DMG does a fairly good job explaining how to run the game, whereas the first printing of the AD&D DMG didn’t IMO. I know I was impressed when I read the 3.0 version.

Then be willing to acknowledge that if he actually commits to this, puts in the time to actually do the work (and it is work, its a lot of work, so IMHO the DESIRE option on your list up there is THE single most important item you listed) and still fails, repeatedly, to inspire your group to want to game with him at the helm... well then maybe he isn't cut out to GM for your group.

I can't suggest this strongly enough however, do not interrupt the game to tell him how you feel about his NPC's, his style, or the way he does this or that if what you have to say is negative. Not only is it inappropriate, it's rude. Talk with him about it after the game. If you interrupt a new GM while he is trying to spin his tale and tell him what he is doing wrong, most folks are going to loose heart, loose faith in what they are doing, and loose interest in running the rest of the session, or worse, learning to ever GM at all.

If you run a campaign almost entirely from modules...

... then mostly you need to be detached, know the rules, and be organized! Almost nothing else is necessary. I certainly don't plot my own adventures if I can help it, so none of the writing-related stuff is necessary. But familiarity with the rules payoff in any game, as does being organized.

Kri8or

First Post
How about a willingness to admit and learn from mistakes. I don't claim to be a great DM but I have fun, the players have fun, and everything else is just gravy. I'm just finishing up my first long term campaign (a little shy of the 2 year mark, playing once a week with a brief Vampire break) I've made some mistakes - npcs stealing their thunder, too much treasure, being too lenient with players using oddball third party rules - but as long as the communications lines stay open and everyone is willing to forgive me and let me fix things, in game if possible, out of game if necessary, when I mess up everything stays cool. Plus, learning from those mistakes are what has made me the overwhelmingly adequate DM I am today.

One other thing I'll toss out is the ability to throw in tasty details. Yeah, it's great if you can describe that evil nasty guy in all kinds of gory detail, but I'm always amazed at how much difference one or two sentences can make when describing the really mundane scenes. Tell em what they're serving at the inn for dinner and try to make it indicative of the local culture. Make that wine out of some local fruit. Give some unique detail to a scene that has absolutly no bearing on anything. It really helps make things more vivid and real.

Sigdel

First Post
I think what is most needed to be a good DM is the desire to DM. Without it you are just going through the motions, and every one else will notice. For the most part, I am my groups primary DM, even though I havn't sat in that seat for almost a year. But I am planing to take up the mantle once again and to warm myself up for it I plan on running them through some pre made stuff. Tell you the truth, I am a bit nervous...

pogre

Legend
This probably fits into the desire category now that I think about it, but a drive to entertain your players is a key to excellent DMing.

Remove ads