• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What does "murderhobo" mean to you?

What's a Murderhobo to you?

• Powerful adventurers who bully commoners

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • Homeless adventurers who kill orcs and take their stuff

Votes: 154 62.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 48 19.4%
  • I've never heard the term before

Votes: 6 2.4%

Caliban

Rules Monkey
I first heard the term in the RPGA, and still hear it in Adventure League. I believe the meaning has shifted over the years - now when I hear it, it is usually in reference to a specific play style:

The characters aren't specifically "evil", but rather indifferent and mercenary.

Ignore social interactions as much as possible, choose combat and violence as the resolution to a problem whenever possible, don't talk or negotiate unless you absolutely have too.

Basically cut out all the boring stuff so you have more time to do the combats.

The only focus is on "winning" and accumulating magic items and XP.

And if you have to feign ignorance about the plot so you can justify keeping a powerful magic item for yourself... eh, no biggie.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Murderhobo is a label used to demean a style of play wherein the PCs primary goal is killing monsters and taking their stuff. It’s usually referenced in contrast to more “story-focused” or “roleplay-heavy” games. High probability of seeing “roleplay vs. roll play” (*hurk*) mentioned somewhere in the discussion.

mikal768

Explorer
I voted "other". Murderhobo means the same thing to me as "REAL Roleplayer", "Power Game", and "Munchkin" all mean.
Absolutely nothing.
They're subjective terms colored by each users individual perspective, and trying to rigidly define them or use them as some sort of argument for or against something is a waste of time.

Jacob Lewis

Ye Olde GM
I've considered the term to be more defining of the player than the character. A player with a focus on combat and looting--arguably the heart of every edition for D&D or fantasy equivalent... rarely spends much thought on character backstory or connections. In most cases, the classic trope of the haunted revenant conveniently motivated by revenge against a favored enemy that killed his entire family and eliminating the need to develop or explore any deeper relationship or obligations. Yet they manage to spring up out of literary oblivion to dispense violence and reap the treasures of everyone appearing little more than walking loot crates. "Munchkin-orphans" might also be an acceptable term, though not as catchy.

Cyrinishad

Explorer
Aye. That's the crux of why we see the term "murderhobo" differently. It started as a joke term, meant to describe what is simply an adventurer. The word murder is important to the joke - precisely because it doesn't really fit.

What's happened is that you've taken a word that jokingly disparaged the typical adventurer, and started applying it to the sort of PC where it would literally apply.

@Cyrinishad may have nailed our disconnect when he said

Thank you, Satyrn... I've considered myself a part of the D&D community for more than 20 years, so I'm definitely not passing judgment on anyone's use of the term; I fully understand the original sarcastic meaning of the term whenever I read it... It is our community's in-joke, poking fun at ourselves about Classic Sword & Sorcery Adventures...
I totally & completely 100% get it.

That being said...

I think we should be mindful of the next generation being more literal in the use & interpretation of language... Murder is Evil...
My kids don't understand the in-joke.

Remove ads